Rhadamanthine

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Rhadamanthine

Postby Grogie » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:58 pm

Harshly strict. ''Some teachers are very rhadamanthine.''

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Rhadamanthine

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:59 am

Here's a take on this one:
The etymology of Rhadamanthus is uncertain. It may be derived from rhadamnos (branch) and anthos (blossom), or from Rho-t-Amenti (King of Amenti, the realm of the dead), an epithet of the Egyptian god Osiris. His name is the origin of the English adjective “rhadamanthine,” inflexibly just or severe.
Full article here.

I'm surprised, though, that none of the sources I looked at mention that the word adamant is inside rhadamanthine. We know the etymology of adamant, and I can't see how these two words that have such similar meanings wouldn't be related in some way.

For good measure, let's toss diamond into the mix and see what happens.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Re: Rhadamanthine

Postby Audiendus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:43 am

I'm surprised, though, that none of the sources I looked at mention that the word adamant is inside rhadamanthine. We know the etymology of adamant, and I can't see how these two words that have such similar meanings wouldn't be related in some way.
I'm sure you're right. In Greek mythology, Rhadamanthus was a judge of the dead, who was notoriously strict. But in that case, what does the rh- signify?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”