Avenue

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Audiendus
Wordmaster

Avenue

Postby Audiendus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 am

avenue

From Latin via French. Originally 'approach' or 'way of approach', then 'approach road to a country house', then 'wide road lined with trees', then any wide street, then used randomly for the names of residential streets.

Still used to mean 'approach' in a non-physical sense, e.g. 'avenue of investigation'.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Avenue

Postby David Myer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:38 am

Nice one, Audiendus. Very interesting.

Curiously I spent the first seven years of my life in a street called Railway Approach (in Twickenham). I didn't know it was really an Avenue. Don't you hate those ridiculous computer programs that ask for the street name and want the word 'street' or whatever in the next field and they offer all the alternatives the silly programmer could think of? Usually there are more than a hundred of them (if you live in a Way, you have to scroll through 95 of them), and Approach is invariably not on the list. Of course it is always a "mandatory field" (another pet hate) and "other" is not an option.

I imagine that the standard pet hate of computer programmers is pedants like me.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 pm

'Avenue Road' (something of a tautology) and 'The Avenue' are very common street names.
Don't you hate those ridiculous computer programs that ask for the street name and want the word 'street' or whatever in the next field and they offer all the alternatives the silly programmer could think of? Usually there are more than a hundred of them (if you live in a Way, you have to scroll through 95 of them), and Approach is invariably not on the list.
This is especially problematic for street names of the form 'The ...', and single-word names (we have 'Sandilands', 'Sandhills' and 'Upfield' locally).

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Taken up and treated here.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”