bunting

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

bunting

Postby bbeeton » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Prompted by this news item:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -watchers/
Poor little bird is all fluffed up on account of the cold -- he should have migrated far to the south by this time of year! (But he still looks like he was decorated by a little kid with a new paintbox.)

It's also the material out of which flags are made, and other decorations for parades on the 4th of July

And a hooded garment for a baby, as in the nursery rhyme "Bye, bye, baby bunting".

Never mind the present participle of "bunt", the only way I could ever get on base when I was pitcher for the company coed softball team.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: bunting

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 am

Interestingly, all three, bunting the stuff, bunting the bird, and bunt, appear to have different roots.

Thanks for the link, too. I've saved the picture to use as desktop wallpaper on my computer.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks for bringing this to the top, Slava.

I am reminded that, when I posted the original, I forgot about Mary Bunting, the fifth president of Radcliffe College. (No speculation on the etymology of surnames.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:11 am

The study of surnames can be quite interesting. Some are useful, too. Like being a Busch in St. Louis.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”