Nankeen

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Nankeen

Postby David Myer » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 pm

We mentioned this word in discussing the recent Word of the Day, Pierian. The reference was to the Australian Nankeen kestrel.

I don't know the nankeen kestrel - although no doubt I have seen them without allocating an identity to them. I have though identified the Nankeen night heron in Australia. In fact we have them here in the marine reserve which borders my holiday house in Queenscliff, Victoria. But apparently they are reasonably frequently seen in our Melbourne botanic gardens.

This led me to consider, why Nankeen? I presumed that this reference was to the place in China but the birds are nothing to do with China. It seems from my brief research that nankeen is a yellow fabric first made in Nankeen. It is presumably the colour that has caused the naming of the birds.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Nankeen

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:02 pm

Aye, Nankeen the word is from the fabric originating in Nanking/Nanjing, China. The color was then transferred to other things willy-nilly, fabric or no. I gather the NIght Heron you mention is better called the Rufous Night Heron, to more accurately describe its plumage.

Someone could write a trivia book of toponyms. Or maybe they already have?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:08 am

I imagine the Good Doctor has written such a book - or perhaps is in the process of so doing.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:22 pm

Actually, I'm not a topologist, so have no book on the topic. I do list a few toponyms here.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”