Umarell

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Umarell

Postby David Myer » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:26 pm

My friend Sharon, who is a closet user of this site, brought to my attention this beauty of a word.

The Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/umarell on Umarell shows that there is some fun still to be had in this world - well, in Bologna anyway.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Umarell

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:38 am

I wonder what construction workers in various countries call these kinds of people. "Sidewalk Managers" would be a good one, perhaps. I suppose most real ones wouldn't be printable here, though.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 am

The term "sidewalk supervisor" has been around for a long time, although it has never (to my knowledge) been limited to retirees. In less contagious times, I've walked past walls obscuring construction sites that had intentional openings clearly labeled for the benefit of such kibitzers.

I've often taken advantage of these when opportunity and time permitted. It's fun watching others dig holes.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 am

This word hasn't even been borrowed yet; it's still Italian. I couldn't find it in any dictionary, its only in Wikipedia.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 am

Surely, if it is real enough to make it into Wikipedia, it has sufficient existence to qualify for the Agora? :wink:

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 am

Anyone at anytime for any reason can supply entries to Wikipedia. I'm a little more picayune.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Dear Dr. Goodword,
By your own entry for "picayune", this word carries a strong implication of triviality, rather than the fussiness that seems to be intended here, even though the latter meaning is also given. (But it *does* sound more impressive.)

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”