Airshed

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Airshed

Postby bbeeton » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Never saw this word before today, but it makes sense, and references, including dictionary definitions, are numerous around the Internet.

It's the atmospheric equivalent of "watershed", a word and concept I'm quite familiar with, having grown up in the Chesapeake Bay area, and now residing at the head of Narragansett Bay.

But it still sounds strange to me.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: airshed

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:33 pm

A new one to me, too. From my quick look it seems to be a way of saying pollution sink.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Airshed

Postby bbeeton » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Looking further, "shed" itself hasn't been explored. There are many, both nouns and verbs, as well as still other combined terms ("woodshed").
But perhaps this is one of those words whose possibilities are just too abundant for the good doctor to take on.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Shed the verb and shed the noun seem to have come about from different roots. The verb looks like a good candidate to me.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:48 am

Taken up and treated here.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”