Stevedore

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Stevedore

Postby bbeeton » Sat May 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Yes, I know this was covered long ago, but this morning, reading how things had changed on the waterfront where I grew up, I got to wondering whether anyone born in this century knows who a stevedore is and what one does.

The Baltimore waterfront used to be commercial and industrial, and a few times every summer I would go with my mother to take an excursion on a steamboat to a beach resort to spend a day playing in the waters of the Chesapeake. On more than one occasion, we would see stevedores unloading bananas from a cargo ship docked at one of the wharves. No small pleasure boats, no aquarium, only a lot of noise and bustle. And the water was certainly not something a mother would want her child to be swimming in.

I do appreciate the "new" look, and enjoy exploring the aquarium, but I miss the steamboat rides! (I think that's where I found my fascination with how steam engines work). My high school class had its senior outing on the Bay Belle, and years later I was delighted to have the opportunity to take passage on her once more, from Narragansett Bay to New York. But sadly, the Tolchester, with its *much* more interesting engine, had been scrapped. So now I have to rely on pictures, which really can't do justice to the scene.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Stevedore

Postby Slava » Sat May 28, 2022 8:45 pm

For those interested in a trip down memory lane, or ancient Agoran history, stevedore has visited the Dr.'s office twice over the years, and garnered some fun comments along the way. Here and here they are. Enjoy!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Stevedore

Postby David Myer » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:53 am

Whatever happened to all those contributors? They can't all have faded away - it is only 11 years since the last entry in Slava's second link. Do some still silently follow the daily word, I wonder?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”