Fellmonger

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Fellmonger

Postby David Myer » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:57 am

I have just searched the internet to find what it is that a fellmonger deals in. My search reveals a whole collection of dictionaries that are not worth the e-paper they are written on. Lots of them say that a fellmonger is someone who works with skins and hides, in the manufacture of leather, say, or the production of wool.

Dear, oh dear. A monger is a dealer, a trader or seller. Not someone who works with them. Doh!

But it isn't easy to see quite how fell- covers skins and hides. Is this a rather obscure connection with a fell swoop - a deathly one? Falling over when dead? Or is there some other, even more obscure connection?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Fellmonger

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 am

Seems 'a fell swoop' is actually credited to some guy named Shakespeare and MacBeth. I've always enjoyed putting it as 'one swell foop'.

The fell of the monger is probably from Latin pellis, pelt. And the idea of being the one that prepares them is easily related to the idea of dealing in them; the one selling them probably made them himself.

Hope this helps.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:10 am

Thanks for the work on this one Slava. Fell from pell- or pelt certainly makes sense.

And as you say, maybe most fell sellers were originally in production too. But -monger is surely the dealing part? A fishmonger deals in fish; he may actually catch them too but more likely he buys from the fisherman or even a wholesaler.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:28 am

Fell is the German word for "pelt". It means the same thing in English!
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:42 pm

Then "fell swoop"?
"Fell is the German word for "pelt". It means the same thing in English!"
swishing a pelt through the air?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:40 pm

No room to swing a cat, eh? Well, that's a different fell that fell into cahoots with swoop. Related to felon; cruel, mean and nasty.

Not to fall victim to tomorrow's Good Word, but 'at one fell swoop' is from the Big Guy himself, in 'MacBeth'.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”