gorp

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

gorp

Postby bbeeton » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:07 pm

While we're on the subject of edibles suited for camping trips (marshmallows and s'mores). what about gorp, which I learned was an initialism for "good old raisins and peanuts"? Merriam-Webster says its first known appearance was in 1966, but I claim it's older; my participation in group camping trips ended when I graduated from college in 1961. (Family camping continued for years after that, but the participants weren't as "up" on current terminology.)

Actually, I learned about the combination much before it had that name, but was called "snice" and also included chocolate bits. (My sister, older by 11 years, brought this home from college.) A contraction for "It's nice", which seems to have disappeared from the live lexicon.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: gorp

Postby David Myer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:34 am

Snice is well used in Australia - although usually pronounced snoice. The s added to the beginning of a word to replace the word it's, is commonplace in casual talk here. Sarvo is probably the most frequently used word of this sort although in this case, the s is a shortening of 'this'.

And arvo is of course short for afternoon. See you sarvo.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”