Taciturn

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Taciturn

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:23 pm

• taciturn •

Pronunciation: tæ-sê-têrn • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Quiet, abstaining from talk or conversation, saying little to nothing in the company of others.

Notes: Today's word is a member of a happy family that includes the noun taciturnity, and an adverb, taciturnly. The adjectives reticent and laconic are similar in meaning but not synonyms. Reticent implies a reluctance to express yourself for some reason, usually fear, holding back something known. (It does NOT mean "hesitant"!) A laconic person speaks clearly but tersely, in short, precise phrases that do not waste words.

In Play: Taciturnity is a shortage of speech that borders on the unsociable, a reluctance to speak even when necessary: "Mr. Rhee has been taciturn all week; they say he is sulking over Hetty's rejection of his proposal." It can also simply be a rather appealing personality trait, "Miss Teak is a bright though taciturn woman who expresses herself better in writing than in conversation."

Word History: Today's word is another one we slipped out of Latin when it wasn't looking. Latin taciturnus comes from the noun tacitus "silent", the past participle of tacere "to be silent", which is taire today in French with the same meaning. A related word is tacit "unspoken but implied", which today we use freely. Few other words seem related to this stem. However, one famous name is Cornelius Tacitus (ca. 55-120) who, despite being named "Silence", was one of the most elegant orators and historians of his day. (We are, of course, most grateful that Luis Alejandro Apiolaza is not taciturn when he thinks of very Good Words like this one, which he suggested for today.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Taciturn

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:01 am

How do you folks feel about using words such as this one, laconic, and reticent when speaking or writing about posting to discussion boards or texting culture? Or should they be reserved for actual human contact interactions?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:33 pm

Slava, could you explain a bit about the source of your discomfort?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:45 pm

It's trying to imagine what how being taciturn or reticent in writing would present. Laconic answers I can picture, but taciturnity or reticence seem to me to be more in vocal patterns.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:13 pm

Slava, going to have to ponder that a bit.
Will be in touch.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:20 pm

Ponder, mull, ruminate, and cogitate away! :)

Return to “Good Word Discussion”