Wainer

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Wainer

Postby David Myer » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:54 am

A cordwainer is a shoe maker - apparently. Originaly a sandal was made of cord or string. So a wainer is presumable a maker. We have a
-monger who sells, a -wright who makes (cartwright, wheelwright...) and a -wainer who makes (not to be confused with a smith who works stuff).

So what's the difference between a wainer and a wright?

Stop press! I have just done some research and of course a wainwright is a person who makes carts or wagons. So wain is presumably a wagon. So now I am confused: why is a cordwainer a shoe maker?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Wainer

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:30 am

Because the first cordwainers were shoemakers using Cordovan leather. Cordwain's just an accident of linguistic tampering.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:13 am

Thanks Slava, once again. Amazing. We came across a shoe shop promoting itself as a cordwainer and explaining the distinction between a cobbler - a repairer, and a cordwainer - a maker. I must have just assumed the origin. All very interesting. Cordoba leather. Well, well, well.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:57 am

To which I must reply, 'three holes in the ground'. :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”