Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gronk64
Junior Lexiterian

Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Postby gronk64 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:43 pm

Based on the following examples, can the word "defenestrate" mean "to defeat" in a competition, especially a sporting event? I know that it literally means "to throw out of a window," and, metaphorically, "to get rid of; pink-slip; fire," as in: "The company defenestrated middle management."

The following are excerpts from the internet. So can "defenestrate" also mean, in a broader and metaphorical sense, ”to beat; to defeat"? Yes or no?

And have you ever heard it used in sentences like the ones below?

Eagles Defenestrate Royals, 112-76.

Taylor says even without Bumrah, India has a fiery pace line-up to defenestrate Australia.

But then came Saturday's 40-13 defenestration against Central Florida, in which the Knights scored 34 straight points and Tigers quarterback Riley Ferguson threw three interceptions and lost a fumble.

When England defenestrated India 4-0 last year, it seemed like this return series would be their final frontier.

Requiring only a draw to ensure safety in their last match at fellow relegation strugglers Sheffield Wednesday, they were defenestrated 6-0.

Raffensperger's outright victory was the piece de resistance in this unceremonious defenestration.

Rivers defenestrated Gomez with an uppercut in the third round.

Thanks.

gronk64
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Postby gronk64 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:46 pm

World Wide Words had this to say:

Around 1900 we start seeing defenestrate as a joking term, actual throwing not being implied. In the early 1990s or a little before it took on a colloquial sense of removing a person from office by sacking them, as happened to Margaret Thatcher:

Mr Bob Hawke, Australia’s long-serving prime minister, has been defenestrated.

This figurative sense is either too recent or too slangy to have reached any of the print dictionaries that I’ve consulted. It has over time broadened further to mean confounded, defeated or removed. A football team that had been knocked out of a competition was said to have been defenestrated.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 am

Actually, the structure of the word tells me that the correct meaning to be associated with this construction de-fenestr-at-ion should be "removal of the windows from", based on de- "un-, remove" + fenestr- "window" + -at, a verbalization suffix, + -ion, a nominalization suffix.

The actual way English-speakers have chosen to use this word, I would say, is a literal example of verbal abuse.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Tue May 02, 2023 12:58 pm

Actually, the structure of the word tells me that the correct meaning to be associated with this construction de-fenestr-at-ion should be "removal of the windows from", based on de- "un-, remove" + fenestr- "window" + -at, a verbalization suffix, + -ion, a nominalization suffix.
Perhaps the established use of the word can be justified on the basis that de in Latin can mean "from" or "down from" (compare French de).

De fenestra iactus est - He was thrown from the window.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”