Zounds!

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Zounds!

Postby Stargzer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:23 pm

For completeness.

Online Etymology Dictionary:
zounds
1600, oath of surprise or anger, altered from (by) God's wounds!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:58 pm

Weird... somewhere in my life I was exposed to the notion that this came from "Odin's hounds!"

I don't know why.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:04 pm

I like your etymology, Tim. It fits well with a suggestion I once read: "if you're going to take a god's name in vain, at least have the decency to choose one you don't have that much respect for".

-gailr
If you're fresh out of obscure deities, here's the holy grail of pantheons.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:29 am

When you are really angry it's hard to come up with a really good curse unless you practice, so do you have anything to suggest so I'll have one all ready? Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Monterey Girl
Junior Lexiterian

Zounds

Postby Monterey Girl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Iam replying to KT's request for a good curse word. I personally like RAZZLEFRATS !!. It feels really good to say this when you are frustrated.
Monterey Girl

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Zounds

Postby Stargzer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Iam replying to KT's request for a good curse word. I personally like RAZZLEFRATS !!. It feels really good to say this when you are frustrated.
A longer variation on that one is "Razzlefrazzlesnazzlesnarts!" but I prefer one of the good old-fashioned four-letter expletives myself. 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:04 am

I like "good gravy" for overall surprise (although I rarely say it) and "sheesh" for annoyance (which I do pull out on occasion).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Zounds

Postby sluggo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:01 am

A longer variation on that one is "Razzlefrazzlesnazzlesnarts!" but I prefer one of the good old-fashioned four-letter expletives myself. 8)
A request for a curse word is certainly a unique one, but since I grew up on Pogo I'm reminded here of Rowrbazzle (sp?). There were many more, but you know how it is, the memory is the second thing to go...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:38 pm

or perhaps something more along the line of "You son of a motherless goat" or " Your father smells of Elderberries"

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:09 am

I suppose that in this era of anything in the way of fashion goes, "ah your mother wears army boots" has lost its effectivelness.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:17 pm

I suppose that in this era of anything in the way of fashion goes, "ah your mother wears army boots" has lost its effectivelness.
In this day and age she jolly well could be wearing combat boots--while on active duty in a combat zone! In an age that brought us Army Pfc. Lori Ann Piestewa, that phrase is now a compliment.
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”