zymurgy

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

zymurgy

Postby EZ2TALK » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:52 pm

zymurgy

n. the branch of applied chemistry dealing with fermentation, as in brewing.
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yeild to it-Oscar Wilde

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Some of the best examples of chemical synergy come about when zymurgy is applied to hops, malt and yeast; especially when done by some of Asheville's local micro-zymurgysts.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:42 pm

Some of the best examples of chemical synergy come about when zymurgy is applied to hops, malt and yeast; especially when done by some of Asheville's local micro-zymurgysts.
Laddie, I hope ya don't speak of the Highlanders brew. Och, what I've had of that stoof is terrible.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:11 pm

IMHO German is best,

mark,
esecially if it's drunk in Germany.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:15 pm

Laddie, I hope ya don't speak of the Highlanders brew. Och, what I've had of that stoof is terrible.
Actually, I am very fond of their Gaelic Ale and Oatmeal Porter. Also the French Broad Brewery (to which I had tried to entice you 2 weeks ago so what if people talk?) has some nice offerings, as does the Asheville Pizza and Brewing Restaurant.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:55 pm

IMHO German is best,
mark,
esecially if it's drunk in Germany.
Guys, please...
The respect reserved for wine in most countries is in Belgium also accorded to beer. No country can match Belgium in the gastronomic interest of its beers. No country has so many distinct styles of beer (though several have more breweries). No country has beers that are so complex in character as the finest in Belgium. No country has so many individualistic brews, nor does any country have such a sophisticated beer cuisine (extending far beyond the dishes that are commonly associated with beer).
Dixit Michael Jackson in The Beer Culture of Belgium and French Flanders, but it could have been me. Btw, this Michael Jackson is the one with the good nose (for beer).

Schol!

Frank
who only gets chauvinistic when it's about chocolate, "French" fries, and Belgian zymurgy (nice word, btw ;-) )

PS: While looking for some online info on Michael Jackson, i found this in one of his articles:
"Murphy translated the Heliand, the Saxon epic telling the Gospel story, into English for the Oxford University Press. In the Saxon account of The Marriage Feast at Cana, where Jesus allegedly turned water into wine, "ale vats" lined the room. Was this a Saxon misunderstanding? Or did the Greeks introduce "wine" from the Aramaic "strong drink"? Did Jesus actually turn water into beer?"

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:08 pm

Yes Belgium is proud of its beers, as is the Czech Republic, the UK and Ireland.

I am partial to full bodied amber ales, porters and stouts. Unfortunately in the very little time that I spent in Belgium, I never had a chance to have any local ales. I have done so in the UK (and enjoyed myself immensely), but when in Germany and Holland was always offered lagers.

The one exceptiong, although I believe that it is a lager as well, was Kilsch (if I have spelled this correctly); a beer regional to Cologne/Koln that has a higher than usual alcohol content.

Sluggo, I have also enjoyed a bottle of Black Alligator. Perhaps you have had some as well, in your N'awlins days?
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:36 pm

Frank
who only gets chauvinistic when it's about chocolate,
well now, for Chocolate it's Norweigan. But for beer I love the creamy dark lagers, I drink it so seldom, it's just a treat. I drink three a month or less.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Yes Belgium is proud of its beers, as is the Czech Republic, the UK and Ireland.

I am partial to full bodied amber ales, porters and stouts. Unfortunately in the very little time that I spent in Belgium, I never had a chance to have any local ales. I have done so in the UK (and enjoyed myself immensely), but when in Germany and Holland was always offered lagers.

The one exceptiong, although I believe that it is a lager as well, was Kilsch (if I have spelled this correctly); a beer regional to Cologne/Koln that has a higher than usual alcohol content.

Sluggo, I have also enjoyed a bottle of Black Alligator. Perhaps you have had some as well, in your N'awlins days?
Could that have been Blackened Voodoo? 'Twas made by Dixie and when I moved there in 1994 was the local dark and one of the only ones easily available at the time. It was OK, don't know if it's still there, haven't seen it since being overshadowed by the Newcastles, Sierra Nevada Porters and such pop imports.

Perry, your tastes much mirror mine so we will have to go on a tasting spree one of these weeks. I'm afraid the local Highland I tried was the Gaelic Ale, and to me it was unworthy of either name.

I don't know enough about regions and brew styles to pick Belgium or another area. I do find that I like some Alsatian brews. Of course there are so many micros and microimports any more, there's no longer a valid scorecard to be had. I'll never forget Old Hard Head, for one... but as a singular experience (since we've seemed to stray to this hopstic topic), the absolute wonder of all time in beer imbibement was in Dublin getting my first Caffrey's ale from the tap. The barmaid put the pint glass up and pulled the tab, then went to wait on others while the ale flowed like honey. It was well worth the wait- pure Nectar! Years later, Guiness was bottling and importing it to the States, but there was no comparison :(
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:29 am

Frank
who only gets chauvinistic when it's about chocolate, "French" fries, and Belgian zymurgy (nice word, btw ;-) )
I'm with you all the way, Frank!
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

ShadowCat
Junior Lexiterian

Postby ShadowCat » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:05 pm

a bottle of Black Alligator. Perhaps you have had some as well, in your N'awlins days?

Need to try Turbo Dog or Restoration Ale from Abita Springs, LA

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:48 pm

Turbo dog sounds dangerous. Restoration Ale sounds very promising.
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:42 pm

A sovereign choice! Rich is preferable; may be either pale or stout; larger heads tend to fall...

-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:14 pm

. . . larger heads tend to fall...

-gailr
Better to be at lager heads that at loggerheads . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

ShadowCat
Junior Lexiterian

Abita Beer

Postby ShadowCat » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:59 am

I actually prefer Abita Amber & Turbo Dog to the Restoration Ale - (so named -part of the pruchase price goes to restoration of New Orleans.)

Also, there is a website where beers are reviewed by the brewery cat - - Abita beer is listed first (only because they list alphabetically) - but has a good review of Turbo Dog

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”