blenorrhagia

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

blenorrhagia

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Gonorrhea, clap.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Interesting article. I wonder when it was written. It seems quite out of date. Take this quote for example:

For inflammation of the testicles, apply leeches at once.

I think I'll go with modern medicine, should the need arise.

I'd never heard of gleet before, either, so all in all a fun wander in medicine.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm with you. The text seems very old.
When a woman abandons herself to unlimited intercourse with different men, the private parts become stimulated to so unnatural an extent, that the secretions of the parts, which are largely augmented, at length become altered in their nature, acrid, and finally poisonous, so acrid and poisonous that they cause inflammation of the parts, and when brought in contact with the male organ, in the sexual act, they poison and inflame that.
Give me a break! Either sex can be infected from one single encounter, and the infecting can go in both directions.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Notice, also, that it is the woman who has multiple partners. I wonder what they thought happened if a man had lots of intercourse.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Perhaps that was too horrific for the author to even contemplate. :P
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Or, perhaps, he thought it too much of a joy to contemplate?

I won't mention the potential play on words with "horrific."

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Too late. You already did.
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:14 am

Too late. You already did.
Oops? I wish I could remember the proper term for this. It's something along the lines of "praeteritio," though that's not the correct spelling, I'm sure.

I need a pneumatic device to recall it properly. Something that would drill it into my feeble brain. Sadly, mnemonics haven't proven sufficient to date.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah Google. I found the word you are looking for (and you were very close, BTW) first crack out of the box.

This article is from the alt.usage.english FAQ, by Mark Israel misrael@scripps.edu with numerous contributions by others.

179 "I won't mention..." (Words frequently sought - alt.usage.english)
Mentioning something by saying you aren't going to mention it (e.g., "I won't mention his laziness") is called "apophasis" or "preterition".
Joseph Shipley's "Dictionary of World Literary
Terms" (The Writer, 3rd ed., 1970) says: "~apophasis~

Seeming to deny what is really affirmed. Feigning to pass by it while really stressing it" (e.g., "not to mention his laziness"): "paralepsis".

Touching on it casually: "metastasis".

Pretending to shield or conceal while really displaying (as Antony with Caesar's will in Shakespeare's play): "parasiopesis". [...] ~autoclesis~ (P. the
self-inviter).

Introduction of an idea by refusing before being requested, intending thus to awaken (and respond to) a demand, as
Antony with the will in "Julius Caesar"." "Paralepsis" is more
often spelled "paraleipsis" (which is the Greek form) or
"paralipsis". A few sources (such as The Century Dictionary,
and the Universal English Dictionary by Henry Cecil Wyld) do not support a distinction between apophasis and paraleipsis.
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for looking it up, Perry. I have, too, several times, but I've always managed to forget it. Now I know where it is, so I can find it again.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:09 pm

I need a pneumatic device to recall it properly. Something that would drill it into my feeble brain.
that would give you quite a lift.

b.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:15 pm

I need a pneumatic device to recall it properly. Something that would drill it into my feeble brain.
that would give you quite a lift.

b.
Or help me keep my pump primed, eh?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Talk about threads meandering all over the place.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”