lubricious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

lubricious

Postby Bailey » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:55 pm

lu·bri·cious (l-brshs) also lu·bri·cous (lbr-ks)
adj.
1. Having a slippery or smooth quality.
2. Shifty or tricky.
a. Lewd; wanton.
b. Sexually stimulating; salacious.

[Alteration of lubricous, from Latin lbricus, slippery; see sleubh- in Indo-European roots.]

lu·bricious·ly adv.
mark no-pinguid-need-apply Bailey
lu·bricious·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
[/quote]

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm

Great word! I know it well, but haven't visited it in some time. I'll try to remember it for future use.

As an aside, for some reason there are no vowels in the pronunciation I see in my browser. Is this Firefox not allowing me to see it all, or aren't they there in the first place? All I see is (l-brshs) and (lbr-ks). Something tells me these aren't quite valid. My coding is off. Or am I?

Slava

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:12 am

The American Heritage Dictionary site uses small bitmaps images of the accented vowels instead of the actual characters, so they aren't copied in a normal copy-and-paste action. I go back in and insert them using the accented characters available under the More Emoticons and Accented Characters link that Andrew the Board God customized for us a good while back, located below the emoticons at the left of the Message Body Compose Window. It's handy when you want to include pronunciations or need to write with a British accent, as in hæmophilia. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 am

If you're using a PC, you can also check under Accessories \ System Tools \ Character Map for a motherlode of special characters, in a variety of alphabets and fonts (fonts don't apply to message boards) you can copy/paste here or in your other files. If you're using a Mac, use Mac Finder and modifier keys/key combinations.

(Once you've accessed Character Map, it should stay in your Start menu, or you can put a shortcut on your desktop.)

♀ ĢǺ↨ŁЯ

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Perhaps we most definitely should revisit this word now, given the NY State governor's precipitous fall from grace.

What an idiot!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:12 am

The American Heritage Dictionary site uses small bitmaps images of the accented vowels instead of the actual characters, so they aren't copied in a normal copy-and-paste action...
So that's what's been going on. I thought Bailey was going Semi-Semitic.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”