Skepticism

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:10 am

... given that the relationship between CO2 emissions and temperature changes is not known, any target pulled off thin air is pretty pointless, wouldn't you say so?
Con permesso, caro uncronopio, I must beg to disagree. Even if the relation between these emissions and climate changes is not precisely quantifiable, it seems generally accepted - not least by Professor McKibbin - that there does exist a relationship in which increases in emissions lead through various mechanisms to increases in global ambient temperatures (of course, if the relationship between these two variables is considered to be purely fortuitous, then targets are pointless, but that is not the case we are discussing here). What would be pointless would be to fix targets which could not be modified under any circumstances - but in that case they would hardly be called «targets», would they ? If the goal is to reduce the concentration of CO[sub]2[/sub] to pre-industrial levels, then the targets detailed in the Protocol are vastly insufficient - but if the process be regarded as seeking to determine not so much what a sustainable level of carbon emissions is, but rather the feasibility of reducing these emissions while maintaining the type of economy under which we live, then the targets are, to my mind, meaningful. The real problem is that our present knowledge does not suffice to tell us whether or not there is a level of CO[sub]2[/sub] in the atmospere at which the homeostatic mechanism which modulate warming and cooling on Earth breakdown (which might lead to a «Venus syndrome»), and if so what this level may be. To my mind, it would be prudent to attempt to reduce this level from that obtaining today, as we know from experience that within this limit these homeostatic mechanisms continue to function. I welcome discussion on how best to do this in practice - but not if discussion is put forward as an alternative to practice....

Henri
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:38 am

He rarely misses a trick! We all have walked around on pins and needles since he first showed up. He jumps on every little mistake like a cat on a mouse. It's just his nature to be a nitpicker! So forgive him! Even though he is relentless!
That's not true! I just wanted to help.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:59 am

I usually go by my rule of thumb.

Fact 1: The temperature of the Earth is getting higher at an alarming pace.

Fact 2: Humanity has been emitting gases that are proven to have greenhouse effect at laboratory level. The emission amount of CO2, for example, surpasses all the recorded instances of natural emissions in the history of the Earth.

I think it is highly unlikely that the two unusual events are not correlated.

Flam

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:17 am

If Ms Eilperin's article can be relied upon, the discussion of global warming seems to be getting a wee bit more serious, even in Washington....

Henri
washingtonpost.com
GOP Warms Up to Emissions Cuts

Some Environmentalists Say Proposals Do Not Go Far Enough

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 12, 2005; A10

Republicans who have historically dismissed calls for federal action on global warming are now seeing a political benefit to embracing some curbs on heat-trapping gases, prompting a flurry of Capitol Hill negotiations that could ultimately shift the nation's policies on climate change.

This transformation will be on full display as early as next week, when several senators are expected to jockey to try to attach rival climate change proposals to the Senate energy bill. Three factions -- John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.); Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.); and Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) -- are offering competing plans to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, which have been linked to global warming.

"We need to deal with global warming, not only because it's the right thing to do, it's the smart political and diplomatic thing to do," said Hagel, who has written three bills with Democrats aimed at promoting development of clean technology at home or abroad. "There is some political payoff in this."

Although most environmentalists see this as a sign of progress, some are worried the Senate may adopt a weak climate change proposal that would undermine more meaningful attempts to cut heat-trapping gases in the United States. The McCain-Lieberman proposal would establish a cap-and-trade system that, in the worst-case scenario, would in 2010 freeze carbon emissions at their then-levels. Bingaman's bill calls for carbon emitters to slow their emissions to mid-2012 levels by 2020, with the provision that industry could buy its way out of the cap if carbon credits become prohibitively expensive. Hagel's package includes voluntary limits and aims to cut carbon emissions by offering generous incentives for technological development and climate research.

"The only bill that guarantees reductions is the McCain-Lieberman Act," said Fred Krupp, president of the advocacy group Environmental Defense.

Some climate experts agree. James Hansen, who directs NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, said that while Hagel's and Bingaman's proposals have merit, their provisions would most likely allow a global temperature rise of more than two degrees Fahrenheit.

A confluence of events -- including a shift in the business community, mounting international and domestic political pressure, state climate initiatives and new scientific evidence of the emerging climate threat -- have all made it easier for lawmakers to take action. But if having a plan to limit greenhouse gas emissions is becoming the new must-have on any ambitious Republican's résumé, it is unclear whether this shift will translate into significant new limits on carbon dioxide emissions.

Even optimists concede that the proposals all face serious obstacles. The White House and House GOP leaders continue to oppose any mandatory greenhouse gas limits, and none of the senators in question would say whether they have enough votes to pass their proposals.

"I don't know if any of them will pass, but this is an issue that's entering prime time," said Sen. Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.), who supports McCain-Lieberman. "We're seeing a switch. When utilities talk to members of the Senate and say they're not all opposed to addressing the issue of climate change, it's time for the federal government to wake up and smell the coffee."

The business sector's growing willingness to countenance some carbon controls, spurred by financial self-interest and the fact that their European facilities now face carbon emissions restrictions under the newly implemented Kyoto Protocol, accounts for part of the political shift. Last month, for example, General Electric chief executive Jeffrey R. Immelt said his company is prepared for mandatory limits and intends to double its revenue from environmentally friendly technologies and products to $20 billion within five years.

"You get a gut feeling sometimes as a business leader that we should be preparing ourselves, in this case GE, for fuel constraints," Immelt said in an interview Friday.

Cinergy chief executive James E. Rogers, whose midwestern utility recently merged with Duke Energy and is the fifth-largest American consumer of coal, testified Wednesday before the House Science Committee that his company backs mandatory limits on carbon emissions. He recalled that his former law partner, Robert Strauss, "used to say, 'When you see a parade form on an issue in Washington, you have two choices: You can throw your body in front of it and let them walk over you, or you can jump in front of the parade and pretend it's yours.' "

Several moderate GOP governors have outlined their own plans to cut carbon emissions, among them California's Arnold Schwarzenegger.

But not all Republicans, and not all major utility executives, feel the same way. American Electric Power president and chief executive Michael Morris, whose company is the biggest U.S. consumer of coal, at 75 million tons a year, said in an interview that he believes it's "ill-advised to burden our American manufacturers when our competitors" in China and India do not face the constraints. He added that he thinks carbon controls are inevitable, but only in 20 or 30 years when industry has developed cleaner technologies.

The National Association of Manufacturers also has stepped up its lobbying against greenhouse emissions limitations: On Monday it plans to release a report saying carbon emissions limits and other measures could deprive the U.S. of 1.3 million jobs in 2020 compared with a pro-energy development strategy.

Some influential Republicans are equally adamant.

Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.), who chairs the Environment and Public Works Committee, said public opinion may have shifted in favor of federal regulation, but that he holds his colleagues "to a higher standard" and that "doing what's right for America far outweighs counting where the votes are back home."

No one appears to have a solid vote count. The last time the Senate voted on the McCain-Lieberman proposal it garnered 43 votes; Lieberman said he thinks they have picked up support by adding a section that funnels federal money to clean coal technology as well as biomass and nuclear research and development. McCain said Republicans including Mike DeWine (Ohio), Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) and Mel Martinez (Fla.) are taking a look at his bill, but said they have yet to commit to it.

Bingaman is trying to lure Senate Energy Committee Chairman Pete V. Domenici (N.M.) onto his proposal, which could give his bill a powerful boost. Bingaman and his backers have advertised his plan as a common-sense, cheaper alternative to McCain-Lieberman, but it has come under fire from several environmental groups.

Hagel said it is impossible to predict what the Senate will do once the energy bill reaches the floor. "I don't think there's any center of gravity up here," he said.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:32 am

And using natural resources as if we owed them to no one feels like bread of shame to me. If there is some justification at all for our use of resources, it should hinge on efficiency and the goodness of the purpose. If CO2 reduction can be linked with more streamlining of industrial sectors, Kyoto Protocol or similar agreements are not even "erring on the safer side" but a global efficiency competition. I happen to regard doing more with less better than commanding more power at whatever the costs.

If Roma Club Reports are in any sense reliable, we are exploiting 120% of the gross capacity of the Earth. This is a threat even to sustainable development models.

Flam

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:44 pm

Flaminius, the events ARE correlated (associated); however, correlation DOES NOT mean causation. Prices of real estate have gone up with temperature, but that does not mean that one influences the other. In addition, efficiency does not increase by regulation but by competition. We have been moving for years to more energy efficient production systems (firewood, coal, oil, electricity, etc) and economic output has increased much more rapidly than the use of natural resources.

Henri, first, you can not limit discussion only to options that seem appropriate to you. Second, given that relationship CO2-temperature is not known, whatever limit is set is based on political considerations, not technical ones. The fact is, that we could take CO2 emissions back to preindustrial levels and we do not know if temperature would go down accordingly.

Considering that there are limited resources to tackle the planet's problems it seems reasonable to solve first problems where there is a clear relationship between spending and benefits (see, for example, www.copenhagenconsensus.com).
Last edited by uncronopio on Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:35 am

... first, you can not limit discussion only to options that seem appropriate to you. Second, given that relationship CO2-temperature is not known, whatever limit is set is based on political considerations, not technical ones. The fact is, that we could take CO2 emissions back to preindustrial levels and we do not know if temperature would go down accordingly.
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. It goes without saying that neither I - nor, for that matter, any other Agorist - can limit discussion on the forum - how would we enforce our ukases ? Moreover such an attempt would be not merely bootless but pointless - what's the use of a deliberative body like our own if discussion be limited ? While we do deliberate as a collective, we make no collective decisions - who then can possibly gain by invoking cloture ? Besides, I like free-wheeling discussions - so long as we all respect each other's right to his or her opinions....

What I have attempted to say - and my apologies if I have expressed myself with less than crystal clarity - is not that the Kyoto Protocol option and that advocated by Professor McKibben (the two that were the subject of the discussion) are the only acceptable ones - my point (not an order) was that discussion of alternatives should not be considered a substitute for action on them. It may indeed be the case that the homeostatic mechanisms that regulate temperature and its distribution on Earth have become so out of whack that reducing CO[sub]2[/sub] emissions to pre-industrial levels will not have the desired effect of reducing global warming - but as that hypothesis, unlike that concerning the (as yet imperfectly quantified) relation between higher emission levels and higher temperature, remains both untested and unpredicted by present theoretical models, why counsel dispair ? Maybe, just maybe, the system is not so disrupted that it cannot be fixed ?...

In any event, even in the US (the major country in the context of emissions) more and more people seem to be becoming convinced that the issue requires action. While some of our fellow Agorists seem to regard everything (?) printed in the New York Times as unreliable, I, for one, certainly hope that the views expressed in a leader published today, and which I reproduce below, do possess a basis in reality....

Henri

PS : As regards the scientific credibility of hr Lomborg (an economist devoid, if I am not misinformed, of any training in the natural sciences), the interested reader can find some (critical) sources here....
June 14, 2005

Feeling the Heat

President Bush has been running from the issue of global warming for four years, but the walls are closing in. Scientists throughout the world are telling him that the rise in atmospheric temperature justifies aggressive action. Arnold Schwarzenegger and other prominent Republicans are telling him to get off the dime. His corporate allies are deserting him. And the Senate is inching closer to endorsing a mandatory cap on greenhouse gas emissions.

A result is that Mr. Bush seems increasingly isolated and his rhetoric of denial increasingly irrational. Last week, a whistleblower asserted that a senior White House official, formerly an oil lobbyist, had changed scientific reports to minimize the climate problem. The official, Philip Cooney, resigned last Friday, although the White House insisted that the embarrassing disclosures had nothing to do with his departure. Whatever the truth, this was hardly the first time Bush officials cooked the books for political ends. It was just this kind of nonsense that persuaded an exasperated Christie Whitman to return to private life.

Out in the real world, hardly anyone denies the importance of the issue anymore. Just over a week ago, Mr. Schwarzenegger pledged to slow, stop and ultimately reverse California's greenhouse gas emissions by requiring big improvements in automobile efficiency and pushing for energy sources other than fossil fuels. "The debate is over," the governor said. "We know the science, we see the threat, and we know the time for action is now."

As if on cue, the National Academy of Sciences and 10 of its counterparts around the world declared that the science of global warming is clear enough to warrant prompt reductions in greenhouse gases. Mainstream scientists have long accepted the link between warming and human activity. What made this statement exceptional was its tone and its timing, coming a month before Mr. Bush and other leaders from the Group of 8 industrialized nations are to meet in Gleneagles, Scotland, where Prime Minister Tony Blair will put climate change near the top of the agenda.

As things stand now, Mr. Bush will be going to that meeting empty-handed, despite Mr. Blair's efforts last week to make him take the issue more seriously. Perhaps the Senate can give him something positive to point to, although it will have to act fast. Three different global warming proposals requiring mandatory controls on carbon dioxide, the main global warming gas, could surface as amendments during the forthcoming debate on the energy bill, scheduled to begin in earnest this week.

One of these, the McCain-Lieberman bill, received a surprising 43 votes in October 2003. That was before the rest of the world began moving toward mandatory controls and before American power companies began to slowly accept that such controls were not only inevitable but also necessary to spur the development of more efficient ways of producing energy.

The results could be better this time. There is speculation that a less ambitious but also less costly bill sponsored by Jeff Bingaman, Democrat of New Mexico, and modeled after proposals from the bipartisan National Commission on Energy Policy, could win a filibuster-proof 60 votes. That may be a long shot. But what is clear is that the warming issue is gaining traction at home and abroad, inspired partly by Mr. Bush's incorrigible stubbornness.

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Luis, it sounds like equivocation to me too
fallacious argument
Equivocation:
using a word to mean one thing, and then later using it to mean something different. For example, sometimes "Free software" costs nothing, and sometimes it is without restrictions. Some examples:

"The sign said 'fine for parking here', and since it was fine, I parked there."

All trees have bark.
All dogs bark.
Therefore, all dogs are trees.

"Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three lefts do."
- "Deteriorata", National Lampoon
all this yes, We all KNOW the causes...... blah, blah, blah sounds like yet another fallacious argument
Appeal To Authority:
"Albert Einstein was extremely impressed with this theory." (But a statement made by someone long-dead could be out of date. Or perhaps Einstein was just being polite. Or perhaps he made his statement in some specific context. And so on.)
To justify an appeal, the arguer should at least present an exact quote. It's more convincing if the quote contains context, and if the arguer can say where the quote comes from. or even
Argument From Spurious Similarity:
this is a relative of Bad Analogy. It is suggested that some resemblance is proof of a relationship. There is a WW II story about a British lady who was trained in spotting German airplanes. She made a report about a certain very important type of plane. While being quizzed, she explained that she hadn't been sure, herself, until she noticed that it had a little man in the cockpit, just like the little model airplane at the training class.
not to mention Appeal to general consensus, ew all believe it it must be true! and all good lemmings ..."On to the sea....!"

There is something that 's not been taken into consideration about environmentalists in general, Tho' I'm sure not all oc. And that is they want Change NOW, and are rarely on good terms with Any party in power... One has to wonder what's motivating the writers of the articles Henri seems to find in his casual readings.

Katy
Last edited by KatyBr on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Henri, so there was a misunderstanding and we can continue discussing the issue. Concerning Lomborg's CV it should not matter much, because I am pointing out about the conclusions reached by other people (with quite impressive backgrounds).

Going back to skepticism, I found this inspiring (my emphasis):
When someone says, "Science teaches such and such," he is using the word incorrectly. Science doesn't teach anything; experience teaches it. If they say to you, "Science has shown such and such," you might ask, "How does science show it? How did the scientists find out? How? What? Where?"

It should not be "science has shown" but "this experiment, this effect, has shown." And you have as much right as anyone else, upon hearing about the experiments--but be patient and listen to all the evidence--to judge whether a sensible conclusion has been arrived at.

I think we live in an unscientific age in which almost all the buffeting of communications and television--words, books, and so on--are unscientific. As a result, there is a considerable amount of intellectual tyranny in the name of science.
from a talk by Richard Feyman (corrected spelling) about what is science.
Last edited by uncronopio on Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:06 am

Going back to skepticism, I found this inspiring (my emphasis):

And you have as much right as anyone else, upon hearing about the experiments--but be patient and listen to all the evidence--to judge whether a sensible conclusion has been arrived at.

I am in complete agreement with Professor Feynman (as I believe the name is spelled), and thus - to the degree that agreement is transitive - with you, caro uncronopio, regarding the right we all have, after having carefully reviewed the evidence, to judge whether the conclusions reached seem sensible or not. I should go further and say that this is not only a right, but also a duty - confronted as we are with many issues that affect us all and as public citizens - zoon politikon, was, I believe, the term used by Aristoteles - we are responsible for educating ourselves to the limits of our individual capacities in order to make as good decisions as we can about the common weal. (As you see, I'm still stuck in the 18th century, but as I find myself so comfortable there, I plan to stay a while longer !) This does not mean, of course, that the truth value of a proposition can be decided by majority vote - alas, neither in life, science nor philosophy can we vote our way to Truth - but in political life such a system has shown itself to work better than all the alternatives that hitherto have been explored. If we are willing to take upon us our responsibilities and attempt to form our opinions based upon a serious study of the issues at hand, while at the same time recognising the limits of our own knowledge and that of others, this peculiar system which we call «democracy» might just possibly work. If not, if we refrain from engaging ourselves, due either to indolence or prejudice, the odds, I fear, are rather great that it will collapse. An important aspect of this «democratic pattern», if I may call it so, is being willing to listen to opinions with which one disagrees, and to refrain from immediately elevating the discourse to a «meta-discussion», in which what is talked about is not the issue at hand, but rather why the Other holds his or her strange views (i e, ad hominem argumentation of the type «he is an A and therefore believes x ; she is a B and therefore believes y». At the same time, we must take into account that certain people do possess specialised knowledge that others do not - thus in (certain areas of) genetics I should be disposed to give your opinions and views extra weight, due to your specialised knowledge which exceeds my own ; in others, like (certain areas of) psychiatry and sinology, I might feel myself to possess some little expertise. Balancing the claims of the special and the general is not easy ; somehow we shall just have to muddle through....

I don't know if the above makes sense to you....

Henri
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:45 am

What a coincidence ! I just read the New York Times OpEd below, which also deals with the (interactive) Truth....

Henri
June 15, 2005

The Interactive Truth

By STACY SCHIFF

It used to be that the longest unprotected border in the world was that between the United States and Canada. Today it's the one between fact and fiction. If the two cozy up any closer together The National Enquirer will be out of business.

More than 60 percent of the American people don't trust the press. Why should they? They've been reading "The Da Vinci Code" and marveling at its historical insights. I have nothing against a fine thriller, especially one that claims the highest of literary honors: it's a movie on the page. But "The Da Vinci Code" is not a work of nonfiction. If one more person talks to me about Dan Brown's crackerjack research I'm shooting on sight.

The novel's success does point up something critical. We're happier to swallow a half-baked Renaissance religious conspiracy theory than to examine the historical fiction we're living (and dying for) today. And not only is it remarkably easy to believe what we want to believe. It's remarkably easy to find someone who will back us up. Twenty-five years ago George W. S. Trow meditated on this in "Within the Context of No Context." Then it indeed appeared that authority and orthodoxy were wilting in the glare of television. Have we exterminated reason in the meantime?

If you are 6 years old and both your parents read one online, you can be forgiven for not knowing what a newspaper is. You would also be on to something. The news has slipped its moorings. It is no longer held captive by two-inch columns of type or a sonorous 6 p.m. baritone. It has gone on the lam. Anyone can be a reporter - or a book reviewer, TV star, museum guide, podcaster or pundit.

This week The Los Angeles Times announced its intention to exile the square and stodgy voice of authority farther yet. The paper will launch an interactive editorial page. "We'll have some editorials where you can go online and edit an editorial to your satisfaction," the page's editor says. "It's the ultimate in reader participation," explains his boss, Michael Kinsley. Let's hope the interactive editorial will lead directly to the interactive tax return. On the other hand, I hope we might stop short before we get to structural engineering and brain surgery. Some of us like our truth the way we like our martinis: dry and straight up.

Kinsley takes as his model Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia to which anyone can contribute, and which grows by accretion and consensus. Relatedly, it takes as its premise the idea that "facts" belong between quotation marks. It's a winning formula; Wikipedia is one of the Web's most popular sites. I asked a teenager if he understood that it carries a disclaimer; Wikipedia "can't guarantee the validity of the information found here." "That's just so that no one will sue them," he shrugged. As to the content: "It's all true, mostly."

What if we all vote on the truth? We don't need to, because we will be overruled by what becomes a legend most: entertainment. Twenty-one percent of young Americans get their news from comedy shows. Journalism once counted as the first draft of history. Today that would be screenwriting. As Frank Rich reminds us, the enduring line from Watergate - "Follow the money" - was not Deep Throat's. It was William Goldman's. And "Show me the money" was Cameron Crowe, not President Bush.

Evidently Deep Throat himself carped, pre-Watergate, that newspapers failed to get to the bottom of things. Of course apocrypha have always had staying power. That story about the cherry tree was a lie. Especially in unsettled times, we love conspiracy theories. They are comforting and safe. You can go out with a conspiracy theory after dark and not worry about foul play. Before Oliver Stone there was Shakespeare, although he generally had the good grace to let a century or two go by before he contorted history.

What is new is our odd, bipolar approach to fact. We have a fresh taste for documentaries. Any novelist will tell you that readers hunger for nonfiction, which may explain the number of historical figures who have crowded into our novels. Facts seem important. Facts have gravitas. But the illusion of facts will suffice. One in three Americans still believes there were W.M.D.'s in Iraq.

And that's the way it is.

Maureen Dowd is on book leave.
Stacy Schiff, the author of "A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America" and a Pulitzer Prize winner, is a guest columnist for two weeks.
E-mail: schiff@nytimes.com

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:14 pm

Then it indeed appeared that authority and orthodoxy were wilting in the glare of television. Have we exterminated reason in the meantime?

If you are 6 years old and both your parents read one online, you can be forgiven for not knowing what a newspaper is. You would also be on to something. The news has slipped its moorings. It is no longer held captive by two-inch columns of type or a sonorous 6 p.m. baritone. It has gone on the lam. Anyone can be a reporter - or a book reviewer, TV star, museum guide, podcaster or pundit.
Henri, how is this any different from one who seems to take all of his opinions and beliefs from some reporters'
opinions?

well? you do offer us so many opinions from sourrces that are suspect and people we don't know, and may be kooks?

not that I'm saying it's anything but >>fiction<<; the Da Vinci code, I don't.

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:47 pm

... you do offer us so many opinions from sourrces that are suspect and people we don't know, and may be kooks?

Katy, my forwarding of an article or a commentary to the Agora should not be constued to constitute an in blanco endorsement of everything the author in question writes - if there has been any misunderstanding on this point, I apologise. What generally happens is that in my vain attempt to keep up with what's going on in the wide world I stumble upon someone who makes a point which I find of interest, and then I begin to think - with whom can I share this ? Sometimes I find an article relevant to discussions we have had here or a good starting point for discussions that I think we should have here ; in these cases I often forward it to the Agora. On other occasions I forward the piece in question to other fora or to friends and acquaintances whom I think might find it appealing (or disturbing). How to tell whether the sources are good or not ? Wish I knew of an infallible method, but alas, I can't even be sure that I myself am a credible source for what I ate last night ! What I myself try to do is to judge the logical structure of the article and compare its content with what (I think) I already know, at the same time that I try to keep in mind the fact that all our knowledge is provisional and tentative (perhaps with some exceptions in mathematics and symbolic logic, but even there the situation is far from clear-cut). I also try to «follow the money» and «chercher la femme», but without becoming so distracted by these trails that I lose sight of the argument itself. Is this sufficient ? Certainly not - but it's the best I can do....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:35 pm

LOL, Henri, that was your funniest post yet. Mine was a comment and an observation, not a complaint..... but I did make a point eh? not just the one that currently resides atop my head....

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:43 pm

Katy, I didn't regard your posting as a complaint but rather as a question regarding a topic which interests me as well, and as such I tried to answer it as best I could. In any event, I'm happy my reply was able to provide you with some laughs....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”