grawlix (&*@#^+)

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

grawlix (&*@#^+)

Postby eberntson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 pm

This word has been following me around for a month or two , so I thought I would suggest it. I heard it used on NPR one afternoon, then in the book Thingummy, and then someone in a meeting called them something completely different & I was able to correct them. (&^@#%^$%!@ I love my job! :roll: )

I have been reading Asimov's Foundation series and he solves the problem by using the word unprintable. Works but not as fun for the typesetter. :P

From wiktionary:

EtymologyApparently coined by American cartoonist Mort Walker (b. 1923) around 1964.

[edit] PronunciationIPA: /ˈgrɔ:lɪks/

[edit] NounSingular
grawlix
Plural
grawlixes or grawlix

grawlix (plural grawlixes or grawlix)

A spiral-shaped graphic used to indicate swearing in comic strips.
1995, William H. Gass, The Tunnel, page 159
He does all the Popeye voices, but prefers Olive Oyl's. He has noises for the nittles, the grawlix, the quimps, the jarns. He blows each balloon up before your ears. He reels home, +'s on his eyes, singing the spirl that rises like heat from his head.
A string of typographical symbols used (especially in comic strips) to represent an obscenity or swearword.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: grawlix (&*@#^+)

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:21 am

...EtymologyApparently coined by American cartoonist Mort Walker (b. 1923) around 1964.
Well, he had to do something to extend Sgt. Snorkel's vocabulary to make it fit to print in a family newspaper!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun May 09, 2021 7:01 pm

For anyone who is interested, this article on the matter is quite entertaining.https://shadycharacters.co.uk/2021/04/m ... 0-grawlix/

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun May 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Backstage at the Strips is one of my favorite books. Always nice to be reminded of it and see that others are still enjoying it. :D :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”