Word suggestion: PURDAH

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
fmyers
Junior Lexiterian

Word suggestion: PURDAH

Postby fmyers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm

In Britain, the parliament has stopped meeting until after the upcoming election. The House of Lords still sits, but there is not much agreement about what it can actually do. Members of the House of Lords call this situation being in PURDAH. I wonder if Dr. Goodword could explain this word and its etymology and offer some potential metaphorical uses of it as well.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Well, as Britain was involved in India for quite some time, I can see how the word made its way into the language. I don't quite get the usage here, unless it's just to imply sequestering or some such. It's usually used to refer to the separation of the sexes in Indian culture.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Word suggestion: PURDAH

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 pm

In Britain, the parliament has stopped meeting until after the upcoming election. The House of Lords still sits, but there is not much agreement about what it can actually do. Members of the House of Lords call this situation being in PURDAH. I wonder if Dr. Goodword could explain this word and its etymology and offer some potential metaphorical uses of it as well.
Sort of "lame duck"-ish.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Re: Word suggestion: PURDAH

Postby Audiendus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:08 pm

In Britain, the parliament has stopped meeting until after the upcoming election. The House of Lords still sits, but there is not much agreement about what it can actually do. Members of the House of Lords call this situation being in PURDAH.
The House of Lords does not actually sit during this period, but members of that house retain their membership and are still permitted to enter the building. Members of the House of Commons (MPs), on the other hand, have their membership automatically terminated as soon as Parliament is dissolved a month or so before the election, and only regain it if they are re-elected.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:18 pm

What "lords" actually sit in the House of Lords?
All titled men and women? Or just Dukes, Earls?
Are Bishops considered Lords and sit there? Barons
etc. This is really a serious question, though I don't
know enough about them to ask it any other way.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Until 1999, the House of Lords consisted of "Lords Temporal" (Dukes, Marquesses, Earls, Viscounts and Barons) and "Lords Spiritual" (Archbishops and senior Bishops of the Church of England). Dukes, Marquesses, Earls and Viscounts were mostly hereditary. Barons (the "basic" rank) were much greater in number and mostly non-hereditary.

Since 1999 the situation has been in flux. Hereditary rights to sit in the House of Lords have been abolished, and there are various proposals for it to become an elected chamber like the House of Commons.

The aristocratic titles themselves are still hereditary, but the holders of such titles no longer have the automatic right to sit (and vote) in the House of Lords.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Royalty and Nobility have always interested me for some
odd reason. I visit sites concerning the royal families
of many nations. I think it started when Grace Kelly
married Ranier of Monaco. Is there a site I could get
more info on Dukes, Marqueses and such. Where
are the Dukes located, What towns have earls? Anything
you could give me would be appreciated: ball park site,
and then I can search for myself. No hurry, just curious
and enjoy the study. Thanks

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 am

You will find useful information in the Wikipedia articles on "Royal and noble ranks" and "Peerage".

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:46 am

I appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”