Word suggestion

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Tacitus
Junior Lexiterian

Word suggestion

Postby Tacitus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:26 pm

It appears that the word "bootleg" has not yet been mooted for treatment. We all know roughly what it means - contraband transport of a controlled pleasurable substance usually alcoholic. Hiding something in a boot looks fairly obvious, but boots of a size appropriate ? Hardly since the Pirates of the Caribbean surely. The boot of a car ( trunk of an auto for American readers ) ? Very 'limey' and as far as I know the expression 'bootleg' is 1920's US prohibition in provenance. Any ideas ?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm

My gut reaction is to say that it really does refer to what could be brought back in the leg of a boot. Remember, it didn't take a quart to get people fuzzy back then. A shot or two of good hooch and we were fine and dandy. Then we moved on to the 3-martini lunch, and so on. In reading modern literature, though, I'm quite surprised to see how quickly people get squiffy. A half-glass of wine is often enough to get the hero/ine plastered. A bit much, or too little, if you ask me.

We also have to remember that when "bootlegging" came to be, the amounts involved were much smaller, not only because we drank less, but the market wasn't there. The fancy stuff was reserved for the fancy folks, not the servants and "others."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 am

We have a number of tunnels from the river up through
the bluffs for transport of prohibited liquor back in
the day. They are closed and probably caved in by now,
but as a child I remember being warned to stay out of
the 'bootleg caves'.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Quite a coincidence, but Smithsonian Magazine has this month an article on Prohibition and the man who made it all happen. It doesn't cover bootlegging much, but as it ties in with the concept, some may find it of interest.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... -Taps.html
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes, I read it. Good.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 am

bootleg
1889, Amer.Eng. slang, from the trick of concealing something (originally a flask of liquor) down the leg of a high boot.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 am

http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,bootleg
(1928 Noah Webster)

BOOT'LEG, n. [boot and leg.] Leather cutout for the leg of a boot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”