Anadromous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Anadromous

Postby Slava » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 am

(ə-nād'rə-məs)
Relating to fish, such as salmon or shad, that migrate up rivers from the sea to breed in fresh water.

I thought this was good one to add to our river words. One suggestion I saw for a cross-over use was the idea of people with a Jacuzzi who think that's a great place for procreation.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Anadromous

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:30 pm

(ə-nād'rə-məs)
Relating to fish, such as salmon or shad, that migrate up rivers from the sea to breed in fresh water.

I thought this was good one to add to our river words. One suggestion I saw for a cross-over use was the idea of people with a Jacuzzi who think that's a great place for procreation.

The terrific storms and winter of recent past are
contributing to procreation with or without the jacuzzi.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:04 am

The opposite is catadromous, which refers to fish that migrate down river to breed in the sea.

Ana- means "up", cata- "down". But don't ask me why an analyst is the opposite of a catalyst, or an analog(ue) is the opposite of a catalog(ue).

Also, since "anastrophe" means the reversal of the order of words for rhetorical effect, the use of normal word order must be a catastrophe.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Ana/cata: very interesting indeed. I don't know why, but
it is curious, and I've never noticed it before.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:30 pm

The opposite is catadromous, which refers to fish that migrate down river to breed in the sea.

Ana- means "up", cata- "down". But don't ask me why an analyst is the opposite of a catalyst, or an analog(ue) is the opposite of a catalog(ue).

Also, since "anastrophe" means the reversal of the order of words for rhetorical effect, the use of normal word order must be a catastrophe.
An analyst takes things apart, a catalyst puts them together. Chemical analysis often involves the breaking down of a compound to find its constituent parts, while catalysis is the use of a catalyst to make a new molecule, either by breaking or forming new bonds. The catalytic converter in you car's exhaust system uses a catalyst (platinum) to add oxygen to exhaust gases to convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, to complete the combustion of unburnt hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water, and to convert oxides of nitrogen (NO[sub]x[/sub]) to nitrogen (N[sub]2[/sub]) and oxygen (O[sub]2[/sub]).

Actually, these days the opposite of analog is digital!

:-Þ
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Wow! Scary avatar!

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

catadromous

Postby MTC » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 am

Note following limerick by "KS" :

There once was an eel named Renata
Whose dromous was ana, not cata.
She lived at her ease
In the Sargasso seas,
And found spawning more sweet in fresh wata.
-- KS

Eels are catadromous except, apparently, Renata.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 am

Chemical analysis often involves the breaking down of a compound to find its constituent parts
Or alternatively, breaking it up (ana-). Confusing, isn't it?

Interesting explanation, though.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:39 am

I find the ana-/cata- dichotomy fascinating, so here are a couple more pairs that actually exist: anode/cathode and anion/cation.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:17 pm

Anabatic wind (flows up a slope) and katabatic wind (flows down a slope).

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:02 am

Off-topic, I am afraid, but I was moved to find out a little more about Stargzer's little quote (above), apparently from Richard Henry Lee.

Seems that he was most active on the middle 1700s. In those days 'arms' were not what they are today. I note that he said that it was important to teach the young how to use them. I wonder what he would say about teaching youngsters to use the automatic weapons of today? And whether his views might have changed having witnessed Sandy Hook, Columbine and all the many hundreds of other mass gun killings of the last few years?

David

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:46 pm

Great Musings, David. Has me thinking too.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”