What is a good Good Word?

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

What is a good Good Word?

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat May 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Perry Lassiter found an old GW in the archives in which I lay out what I am looking for in Good Words that bears repeating here:

I try to find words that we have not used before (look in the Good Word dictionary), and that tell a story about us and where we come from, how we really think, what we are currently up to, what our ancestors did, and our ancestors' opinion of what we are still doing.

I also like words that stand out because special properties: pronunciation problems, spelling peculiarities, accentuation issues. I am especially fond of "garden path" words, words that lead our semantic machine in the wrong direction, like fartlek.

Other words of the day only aim at vocabulary building—and most of our GWs are chosen for that purpose, too. However, the words of a language draw a map of the peoples who speak them and provide a map of each word's journey through a thousand doors. The more turns and twists that journey has (or is having) the better.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Let us not forget that an intriguing, or even convoluted, etymology is also of benefit.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: What is a good Good Word?

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Why does it not surprise me that there are two blank posts, one from you, Doc, and
the other is slava's.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm

6:00 PM Monday 13 August.
Still nothing.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Maybe because they are merely informative, describing what makes for a Good Word; not much to discuss about them.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:42 pm

My comment was back when something on the
site was broken. I was not receiving posts.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:07 am

Slava, I do like your pleonasmic addendum to the Good Dr's contribution!
The Good Dr has rather poetically journeyed through a thousand doors and used old English words - twists and turns. Your equivalents are 'intriguing' and 'convoluted'. I wonder though if that is tautological or pleonasmic?

But whatever, the words with interesting etymology are amongst the most interesting in the series because the history often adds nuances of meaning. If we know what it meant originally, we can use it more accurately in future.

Well done, all round.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”