balk

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

balk

Postby William Hupy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 am

Interesting that this word started as a noun for a ridge between two plowed furrows and is entirely Germanic in origin. I can picture a couple of oxen balking at crossing a heavy mound of earth.
William A. Hupy

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: balk

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Should the Good Doctor choose balk as a Good Word, he might praise William for not balking at suggesting it. It would be a good choice. The word has taken a rather wobbly course in definition from being: the ridge between two furrows in a field; to a piece of timber; to a refusal or hesitation to move forward; to what a baseball pitcher does (I have no idea what a baseball pitcher does).

I remember my dad calling the ridge beam of a roof the balk. My experience has been with draft animals, particularly mules, which were said to be balky. In the second grade, I balked at writing a letter to Santa because, in my iconoclastic home, there was no Santa. Don’t pity me. Being odd makes one strong.

The word came into English from Proto-Gmc. with lots of cognates in many languages, mostly as beams of wood or wooden structures. It moved through Italian to us as balcony.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:49 pm

A pitcher balks when he goes into his windup, starts to throw, and then stops. Wikipedia quotes a multipllicity of rules that can lead to balks. This year in the major leagues faking a throw to third and pitching to first instead is a balk. In most balks any runners advance one base. I pity the umps who have to digest all the pettifoggery. Come to think of it, pettifoggery might be a good word in itself.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Come to think of it, pettifoggery might be a good word in itself.
Not exactly the word you are looking for, but perhaps this will suit.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46 pm

...the ridge between two furrows in a field; to a piece of timber; ... I remember my dad calling the ridge beam of a roof the balk.
* is curious and checks the googles *
bulkhead
bulkhead (n.)
late 15c., with head (n.); the first element perhaps from bulk "framework projecting in the front of a shop" (1580s), which is perhaps from Old Norse bolkr "beam, balk" (see balk (n.)).

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:47 am

There is an element of 'obstacle' in most of the meanings of balk (baulk in my language). So having just read this debate from 2013, I wonder if somehow 'bulwark' is related? I can't find anything connecting them, but both German in origin.

Incidentally, as well as the baulk line on a billiard table we have one (two actually) in croquet, behind which games must start. I must say, I can't quite see the connection between hesitation/obstacles and starting lines, but there you go.

David

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”