Lectotype

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Lectotype

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:50 pm

I was inspired to propose this word as GWotD by an article in the Science section of yesterday's New York Times, with the intriguing title In the Classification Kingdom, Only the Fittest Survive, which mentions that among Carolus Linnaeus' (the Latinised version of the researcher's name) «glories even include being designated as the so-called "lectotype," a kind of official scientific specimen to represent, for science and for all of time, the species Homo sapiens». I couldn't help thinking of J Craig Venter, who, it is reported, used his own DNA in his work to determine the «human genome». Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I must admit to still being a tad confused over just what this word means, and how to use it in real life. I've read this post several times, looked the word up most times I've been here, but to no avail. Anyone care to go for a plain English explanation?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:38 am

From the nether-regions of the Internet:
There are many terms used to describe other example specimens of a species called biological types:
• Paratype, A biological specimen other than the holotype used for the development of the original description.
• Isotype, A duplicate specimen of the holotype collected in the same place and time.
• Allotype a comparative specimen of the opposite sex to the holotype
• Neotype a substitute specimen selected if the holotype was destroyed or otherwise lost
• Isoneotype a duplicate of the neotype
• Syntypes. two or more specimens describing of a new species when the author did not select a holotype.
• Isosyntypes duplicates of a syntype.
• Lectotype One single specimen later selected from the syntypes as the definitive type example
• Paralectotypes After the definitive chosen of the lectotype the remainder syntypes become paralectotypes.
• Epitype A later specimen used as an interpretative type when the holotype, lectotype, or neotype, is ambiguous.
So... a lectotype is the definitive example.

I wonder if this could be compared/contrasted to a stereotype?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:33 pm

Contrasted, I would say.
a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”