dive (n)

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

dive (n)

Postby eberntson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:32 pm

A disreputable and/or illegal neighborhood bar where all levels of society rub elbows. Often found in basements, so you literally, and figuratively take a "dive".

My father taught me to appreciate dive bars, and he grew up in south side Chicago during and after prohibition. I seem to often end-up in dive-bars where ever I go in the USA and Europe. Often I ask my local contact to take me, but my wife and I can sniff them out. You know it is a dive when one of the locals comes over to "meet you", and to ferret out why your there. Plus, they want to find out if you're cool, or a nark. When I travel I also read up on dive bars to avoid, there are a couple in Soho- London, and Budapest that are notorious for robbing tourists. Thus my habit of using a trusted-local to provide me some surety.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: dive (n)

Postby Slava » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:34 pm

Dive also has several sports related uses, none of them particularly highly regarded. You can take a dive if you're a swimmer, but not in any other sport I know of.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:01 pm

Don't base runners dive for home plate in baseball?
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:48 pm

True that. Any base, actually. A head-first dive into base may be a good way to beat the tag on the play.

Good catch. :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”