moslem, muslim

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
damoge
Senior Lexiterian

moslem, muslim

Postby damoge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:29 pm

The difference in meaning is stark, and therefore, important...

Never knew this !!!

Thanks for your consideration.
Debby Moggio
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: moslem, muslim

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 am

I imagine it also depends on to whom you are speaking. Some consider them simply different transliterations, while others take Moslem as offensive. Both are acceptable to my computer's spellcheck.

I did once meet a Syrian refugee who said his country went to hell because of the Moslems, while the Muslims were fine.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:59 pm

I don't understand what you mean, Damoge. Every dictionary I've looked at claim the are variant spellings of the same word.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:54 pm

My Dear Dr. Goodword and Slava,
Please excuse my long silence, but I no longer get notification by email of responses.

As to the difference between moslem and muslim, Slava's response to my posting was the difference I had run across as well. Since then, I've been given both answers, i.e., that moslem was a derogatory, and that they were just different transliterations. I was also told that the same schism held for mosselman and musselman, and alternatively, that both of those terms are now considered offensive.

If there is anyway to find some sort of definitive answer from some sort of definitive authority, I would be most appreciative. If you don't wish to spend any more time on this, I understand that as well...
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:24 am

Is there anyone out there up to taking a field trip to a mosque? Someone must have one fairly nearby, no?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”