Pert

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Pert

Postby William Hupy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:18 am

I used this to describe my female companion and was met with cold, blank stares, causing me to believe I had used it improperly. From the Latin, apertus, meaning to open. Currently, it has the sense of, lively, spirited, brisk
William A. Hupy

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Pert

Postby call_copse » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 am

Hmm, maybe, like me she had not heard in the wild the meaning you ascribe.

I would normally expect it to mean 'attractively small and well shaped' (specifically, non-droopy :o ) and in the context of a female be generally applied to the chest or buttocks. I see your meaning is live etc, however there may have been a misunderstanding based upon the meanings I would have instantly assumed, being taken as a personal comment...

Hope this helps :wink:
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Iain, I've never seen nor heard it in a context where it referred to any physical concept, except maybe small. More toward spritely alertness, perhaps with humor. My image might agree with a tendency to smaller size, but no relation to either attractiveness or sexiness,
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 am

Really? I wonder if that is a British English specific usage. Those who are favoured by our celebrity oriented newspapers are routinely described as having pert bums etc., a few minutes on the Daily Mail website for instance would no doubt come up many pert celebrity appendages.
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon May 01, 2017 1:02 am

I don't remember ever encountering that usage. Most often it does refer to a spritely female, alert d perhaps cute. "The spritely waitress matched his quips pertly, point by point."
pl

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Only ever used for bums and breasts where I come from (which may mean that I come from not very nice places).

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:28 pm

If I were to come across a "pert nose" or "pert breasts," I would think of a small, turned up nose and small but round "perky" brasts, perhaps thrusting forward, but not seductively. I can't imagine what pert buns might be.
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:04 am

Well, I wouldn't advise a google search for it, but it's just buttocks of a non-saggy nature Perry.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”