Street

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Audiendus
Wordmaster

Street

Postby Audiendus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 am

street

https://www.etymonline.com/word/Street

A rare example of a word derived from Latin through Old English. From Latin (via) strata, "paved road". Ultimately from PIE root stere-, "to spread", from which many English words are derived.

Street is related to stretch and, more distantly, to structure.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Street

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:09 pm

I seem to recall coming across this someplace else, the idea that the difference between a road and a street was that a street is paved in some manner, but a road does not need to be. All streets are roads, but not all roads are streets, that is.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:10 pm

Then, whence cometh avenue and boulevard? (Via French, I know, but am too distracted to look up the etymology.)

The little street that I live on, exactly one block long, has an official sign "Langham Road" at one end and "Langham Street" at the other. (The Post Office delivers to the "Road"; it is definitely paved. The thoroughfares at both ends have "Street" in their names, and the cross street parallel to Langham with a junction at those two "Street"s is an "Avenue", which dead-ends on one end at "Main Street", and on the other at a "Boulevard". I haven't succeeded in figuring out a system.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Well, here be the Doctor's treatment of Avenue. A boulevard is essentially a broad street or avenue, usually with trees on both sides and down the middle. But we can pretty much call anything we want anything we want.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”