Suspicious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Suspicious

Postby David Myer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Again today I read an article in the paper about a body found on the beach. Police said "There are no suspicious circumstances". But hang on, suspicious is clearly related to suspect. I suspect that Julie's party is really for her 50th birthday although she says it's just for fun. There is nothing sinister or criminal in my suspicion, but the police comment clearly implies that if it is suspicious, they believe it may well be sinister or criminal.

Where and when was 'suspicious' hijacked? I suspect it is classic Police euphemism. Just as the military sanitise the language for public consumption - collateral damage for civilian killings and so on.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Suspicious

Postby Slava » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Not so sure this was really 'hijacked'. Suspect seems always to have meant to look askance at, to mistrust. There are just varying degrees of mistrust involved, from simple doubt about the reasons for a party, to questioning someone's innocence of a crime.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Suspicious

Postby David Myer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:02 am

Although an
online dictionary search offers this:
suspect
verb
/səˈspɛkt/

have an idea or impression of the existence, presence, or truth of (something) without certain proof.
"if you suspect a gas leak, do not turn on an electric light"

doubt the genuineness or truth of.
"a broker whose honesty he had no reason to suspect"

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”