Draw

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Draw

Postby David Myer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 am

I reflected the other day on drawing the curtains. It seems to me that could equally mean to open them as to close them. So perhaps this is another contranym to add to sanction and cleave? Presumably this word is related to draught and drag and so there is no clue in its etymology. I wonder then why we bother to use the word draw in the curtain context when open and close are already available and more definitive?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Draw

Postby Slava » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:41 pm

Drawing drapes is more euphonious, no? Personally, I do open and close curtains, but I would draw drapes.

If I understand the dabbling I did on the histories, draw predates drag by about 100 years, though they both come from the same roots. Drag carries the added sense of looking for something, as in dragging the lake bed for relics, and a dragnet for a suspect.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:50 am

There is a difference between drapes and curtains? Really? I just thought Drapes were American curtains. We don't have drapes in Australia, although some people drape a throw-rug over their sofa, and still others where a drape around the shoulders on smart occasions, much in the way of a shawl.

Not surprised to hear that draw (and presumably draught) are older than drag. I think (guess!) most of the ..ught words are old English.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:14 am

There's actually a definable difference between the two, for those in the business of interior design and decor, at least. Here's a link to one site that goes into some detail: https://www.nicetown.com/curtains-buyin ... nd-drapes/
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:57 am

Hang on a moment, Slava. Your link is totally confusing on the difference. How do you like this:
Drapes are incredibly versatile in that they can be held up by any number of things: curtain rods,...
A bit like a curtain?

or
The drape always hangs from this track in an open position, and is moved by pulling it toward yourself. This movement will then cause it to fall back into place once you let go—which is why they are called “drapes.”
Get it? And even if that made sense, does it mean that drapes are never closed?

or
Curtains may be short, floor-length, or have a “drape” at the bottom that extends past the window frame.
See? Drapes are entirely different!

There may be a distinction, but the person in your link has not expressed it well enough for me to understand.

And this lack of understanding undermines the confidence that anyone could have in the website:
Drapes can be made with natural fibers like cotton or wool, or synthetic fibers like silk and nylon.
Since when has silk been a synthetic fibre? Tell the poor little caterpillars that work so hard.

Thanks though, for trying. I have had a lot of fun exploring it.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:39 am

Well, the gist is there, no? Curtains are generally lighter and shorter, drapes are heavier, darker, and would be the layer of window coverings that would go over curtains. That's my take, FWIW.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:44 am

OK. Well that is certainly clearer than your reference. Perhaps you should offer your services to Nicetown, a company of drapers, it seems. They could certainly do with a clear and plain-talking marketing man. I could be your agent...

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:52 am

Thanks for the offer, but I've still got nearly 900 unanswered posts to play with here, so I'll husband my logophilic resources for that. :)

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”