Fop

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Fop

Postby David Myer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:42 pm

I watched Nigel Hawthorne in The Madness of King George yesterday and found myself using the word 'fop' in describing his son (later George the fourth). So wondered about fop and its derivation. In doing a little research I discovered lots of completely different words for the same thing - such as coxcomb and dandy. Most of them look like early english words. Perhaps England was filled with such characters and so needed lots of words to describe them each with its own nuance of meaning. Any ideas on the origin of this one?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Fop

Postby Slava » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:22 pm

Treated here.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:13 am

Thanks again Slava. I always do a search for any word I suggest and it now seems the searches don't always work. I wonder if a search in Suggestions database, searches Discussion database too?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 am

It depends on how you search. If you do it from any plain page, it should search the entire Board. You can also do an advanced search, with various options available. I also try to remember always to check the Good Word Dictionary, which has all the words done. Every once it a while one doesn't make it to the Agora, but they all go there. That's why from time to time you'll see a word in the Discussion section that I posted. When I find one that didn't get cross posted, I do it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”