Getting Around a Law

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Getting Around a Law

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:57 pm

"Switzerland will not be used to circumnavigate EU sanctions on Russia, government says" (CNN headline).

Is this even a possible usage, or did they really mean circumvent? :roll:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Re: Getting Around a Law

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:15 pm

I think you are right and the intended meaning is "circumvent." How it became "circumnavigate" is impossible to determine at this point: it could have been the author, the editor or the proofreader who put it in. On 1976 when William Tillman circumnavigated Spitsbergen in his cutter Baroque, he ended up more or less where in started out. Whereas if, in his voyage to Patagonia, he had circumvented the Straights of Magellan, he would have gone around Cape Horn instead.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:01 am

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the concepts of editor and proofreader are passé, especially on the internot. :cry:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:38 pm

I’m sure it was a mistake, but the word is used figuratively. The OED has such a citation from nearly two hundred years ago.

Return to “Grammar”