Guru

A discussion of word histories and origins.
bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Guru

Postby bbeeton » Sun May 21, 2023 7:09 pm

I found this on the web today: https://www.wordstrivia.com/history/8-w ... -languages I won't spoil the effect by quoting from the source, but "it must be true if it's on the Internet." Do look it up.

Can we blame this on Columbus?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Guru

Postby Slava » Sun May 21, 2023 7:54 pm

Oh, my! :shock:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Re: Guru

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue May 23, 2023 7:44 pm

There are problems with the "succotash" entry as well. Etymonline has this to say
1751, from a word in a Southern New England Algonquian language, such as Narragansett misckquatash "boiled whole kernels of corn." Used by 1793 in New England in reference to a dish of boiled corn and green beans (especially lima beans).
(No beans initially). I was suspicious because I thought lima beans were domesticated in South America (Peru). That turned out to be inaccurate. There are two species of lima beans, one domesticated some 4000 years ago in the Andes and another species domesticated about 1200 years ago in Mesoamerica (southern Mexico, Guatemala, etc.), a long way from New England. It appears the beans were added to succotash in colonial New England.

Return to “Etymology”