Hmmm...crotch+ ending this and crotch+ ending that

A discussion of word histories and origins.
dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

Hmmm...crotch+ ending this and crotch+ ending that

Postby dsteve54 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 am

I was trying to translate "quarter note" in music to Russian, and I ended up having to do it by way of the word
crotchet

It made me wonder if there is any relationship between the following:
crotchet
crotchety
and of course, the infamous word "crotch".

Well, I do not know if any derive from any of the others...
...it might be the case that a crotch also refers to a hook shape, so really in that sense, I would think that an eighth note sort of fits that spec a little better, but 1/8 note has a different formal name. I guess I could envision hook relating to somebody's crotch 8-0 {male, that is :) , or at least one would most likely think "male", 8-| }

Otherwise, I cannot see any overt rationale.
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Yep, they're all hooked together.

Courtesy of etymonline.com:
crotch
1530s, original meaning "pitchfork," from O.N.Fr. croche "shepherd's crook," var. of croc "hook" (see crochet); meaning "region where the body forks" is 1590s.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

Postby dsteve54 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Ok, good. At least "region where the body forks/'hooks", in a way" makes more sense than my lurid interpretation.
Thanks.
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 pm

By the way, why would a quarter-note in Russian have anything to do with crochet? Wouldn't it just be some form of chetvyortaya chast'?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

Postby dsteve54 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Correct. However, upon lookup to find the Russian term in my dictionar[y/ies], the ones I used had neither an entry for "quarter note" per se, nor a melded entry like "~ note/quarter ~" under "quarter/note".

I knew the Russian word for "one-quarter" and I knew the Russian word for "note". But I have learned that is not always sufficient to know for translation; there can often be a totally different term. In fact, many times if I try to merge such words together, the famous phrase I get back is "Н-у-у, можно сквзать, но никогда не говорят в [России/Минске/Ялте...]. So after awhile I QUIT making simple assumptions about concatenating English terms together and thinking it would be correct.

Consequently, I had to look in my music book to find a synonym, if any, for "quarter note"...and there it was, "crotchet". So I looked up crotchet in my English-Russian dictionary, and at that point, I could see the translation you indicated.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Now I see my mistake. It's crotchet, not crochet. Conferring with a musician of my acquaintance I learned that crotchet is a British term for the quarter note. The term probably formed prior to our generally recognized notational system, so it's quite odd nowadays, at least to American ears.

Return to “Etymology”