New Verbing?

A discussion of word histories and origins.
Slava
Grand Panjandrum

New Verbing?

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:23 pm

This one's new to me, at least. It's from a New Yorker cartoon, showing a woman running in a forest:
The New Yorker wrote:If you run a marathon in a forest, but there’s no one around to social media about it, did you really run a marathon?
My emphasis.

Have you seen this one earlier? How does one go about finding a first use anyway?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Junior Lexiterian

Re: New Verbing?

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 am

Slava, I went to the Ngram viewer
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... irect_url=
It is a language tool supported by google that allows us to search a lot of digitised books.

I found you can attached tags to limit the search in various ways. i used the tag for verbs and found there are no examples in the google corpus for the phrase "social media" (or even "media" alone) used as a verb. So looks like you found the first one.

bnjtokyo
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am

I tried a general internet search on the phrase "can we social media" and found this
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/vala-afs ... 85768.html
dated August 14, 2016
There is a heading part way down the piece "How can we social media to build relationships?" but it might be a typo for "How can we USE social media . . . ."

Slava
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for digging into this. It's fun to witness a birth.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Etymology”