New Verbing?

A discussion of word histories and origins.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

New Verbing?

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:23 pm

This one's new to me, at least. It's from a New Yorker cartoon, showing a woman running in a forest:
If you run a marathon in a forest, but there’s no one around to social media about it, did you really run a marathon?
My emphasis.

Have you seen this one earlier? How does one go about finding a first use anyway?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Re: New Verbing?

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 am

Slava, I went to the Ngram viewer
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... irect_url=
It is a language tool supported by google that allows us to search a lot of digitised books.

I found you can attached tags to limit the search in various ways. i used the tag for verbs and found there are no examples in the google corpus for the phrase "social media" (or even "media" alone) used as a verb. So looks like you found the first one.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am

I tried a general internet search on the phrase "can we social media" and found this
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/vala-afs ... 85768.html
dated August 14, 2016
There is a heading part way down the piece "How can we social media to build relationships?" but it might be a typo for "How can we USE social media . . . ."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for digging into this. It's fun to witness a birth.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 am

Whether to convert nouns to verbs is a long running argument. I remember first bumping into it in Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series. Wolfe has strong opinions about words. One that stands out is his repeated stance of abhoring the use of "contact" as a verb. Today, it's almost essential, as there are so many ways to communicate. I can phone, text, email, FB Messenger, visit personally, or see them at Lions Club. So often, I need a general word to say I will contact them, but don't yet know how.

In relation to the prior post, "social media" can become a variable or place holder for "I will tweet them," or email, etc.
pl

Return to “Etymology”