Traffic drop

What's new at alphaDictionary.com.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Traffic drop

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:01 am

The activity in the Agora has dropped dramatically over the past few weeks. Is there anything wrong with the pages that's causing it?
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Traffic drop

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:45 am

Not from my point of view. I read the daily mailing,
and then look to see if there is a discussion started.
My bad for not doing my part.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Speaking only for myself, but I think you might find it is CoViD fatigue.
I look always here, and at one other word site that has games (I do them to see if I woke up that morning). In addition, there is one blog that I follow.
I've not missed here or the other word game, but I found myself too tired to respond to the blog about 3 weeks ago, and then too weary to read it about a week ago.
The times, they are hard.
I'm doing the best I can to limit fractious interactions, I walk more, talk less and try to think of only things I can actually do something about.
as i said, the times, they are hard

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:06 pm

ditto

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am

I would have guessed that people are more home-bound than they used to be and are therefore more likely to participate in the Agora rather than less likely.

Certainly that is the case for me.

Perhaps, since I have made most of the recent running, it is my fault! My stuff is uninteresting or in poor taste or something.

We have recently lost Perry Lassiter who was a regular, and I suspect Peter Hudson too. Very sad.

(But on semantics, I wonder what the right word is for an irregular regular? A frequenter? An oftener?)

Looking at some of the older discussions, I notice that we certainly don't have many of the names we used to enjoy. Is there something about us all that screams "fuddy-duddies" to younger people?

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:53 am

I have had another thought. I have noticed a whole load of new names who are thanked for suggesting the daily Goodword, but few of them (if any) post in the discussion. Daniel Obertance in today's word, for example. Maybe they are unaware of the facility? The 'Discuss Today's Goodword' link is a bit lost under the Privacy Policy. Maybe invite comment in the body of the acknowledgement at the end of daily narrative? Put the link in with the gratitude note.

Just a thought

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:43 am

Everything on the site is working OK for me. No problems.

With regard to David Myer's posts above, another regular member we lost some years ago was Saparris, with whom I used to write 'Group Poems' (see Res Diversae).

I don't know about Daniel Obertance – he is not in the List of Members, and there is no record of any word suggestion by him!

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:23 am

What happened to Perry and Peter?

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm

We all gave Daniel Obertance a standing ovation for suggesting incondite a day or two ago.

Perry Lassiter died more than a year ago. Peter Hudson gave me the sad news in a private message.

"Re: Perry Lassiter
Sent: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:15 am
by Philip Hudson

Perry has been dead over a year. Sometimes I can't gauge the passage of time. Perry had a Theological degree. He was a pastor for many years. He has written theological treatises of all kinds."

I was in occasional correspondence with Peter, and his last rather cryptic message talked about his joy from this site and his hope that he would be able to continue on it for some time. Since then, nothing. I have tried unsuccessfully to elicit some response from him. I fear the worst.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 am

thank you so much.
I cannot gauge the passage of time well either.
Must be advancing age.
It just seem like the last time I logged on
that the two of them were engaged in some
repertoire .
May Perry rest in peace.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 am

I have had another thought. I have noticed a whole load of new names who are thanked for suggesting the daily Goodword, but few of them (if any) post in the discussion.
I always welcome newcomers (most contact me through the newly working Contact page) and mention the Agora as a place they might enjoy. 2 or 3 have taken me up on the suggestion.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu May 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Thanks Doc. That explains a lot. Did you consider my suggestion?

"Maybe they are unaware of the facility? The 'Discuss Today's Goodword' link is a bit lost under the Privacy Policy. Maybe invite comment in the body of the acknowledgement at the end of the daily narrative? Put the link in with the gratitude note."

I have a feel that awareness of the Discussion facility is the key.

But it is odd that frequent contributors of suggestions like Hupy and Towart are not regulars in the discussion.

Return to “Site News”