Ja.
7%

Total votes: 15

ashaffer
Site Admin

Technical Difficulties

Postby ashaffer » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi everybody,

We were recently the victim of a sort of denial-of-service attack on our server, where a spammer sent out a bunch of messages from forged @alphadictionary.com addresses, and we got hit with the bounce messages. As a result, we were running low on memory and that might have caused database issues with the Agora.

If anybody notices anything strange with the Agora, please let me know as soon as possible. (I'm interested in missing posts, missing users, corrupt posts, and stuff like that.)

TECHNICAL DIGRESSION It's likely that the only thing that had problems was the phpbb_sessions table which keeps track of who is online. I had to recreate it, but hopefully no harm done. If things get too weird, I'm going to have to restore from a nightly backup, which means we lose the last couple of days of activity.

Thanks for your understanding,

Andrew
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:30 pm

The only thing that I noticed were freeze-ups and error messages. None of my today's posts went astray.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:59 pm

I noticed the freezes too, I just ran my spydoctor, again I thought it was my pc locking up from those pesky popovers, no popunders!, but popovers are better.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:05 am

It gave me a denial-of -service, too. There was a spamming at 10:47pm on Wed, June 7th in the "Good Word Suggestion" forum titled "Think about it".
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:12 pm

The server clock on the site seems to be about 50 minutes slow.

-Tim

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:47 pm

I got "timed out" when I was trying to write something,,,Is there a time limit on how long it takes you to write a post? or was this an error/corruption too?

Karen
(see lower case letters? no error ~ LOL)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:15 pm

I believe there is a time limit, at least there has been for me, I spend a long time trying to correct my misspellings.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:52 pm

Same here, my friend! :oops:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:15 am

I thought the time out was an error as I have left the keyboard in the middle of a post (I also do multiple attempts to get one posting out/proofreading repeatedly too) and returned quite some time later after remembering i was on line and I was permitted to continue. ???

Karen :roll:
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yeild to it-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Site News”