Sneak Preview

What's new at alphaDictionary.com.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sneak Preview

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:45 pm

We have a special preview for the stalwarts of the Alpha Agora. I have just put up a beta version of a new game based on French "false friends", words spelled the same in English but with radically different meanings. I think it is a cute game that you can play by yourself--no winners, no losers. It works better if you know a little French than if you know a lot--but take a look at it and let me know if you see anything amiss or ways to improve it.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles ... iends.html
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:36 am

I'd prefer it if we could write the word that is in the sentence, not the English translation of the French word. It's too hard to figure out just what word is needed. You may know which English word has a French equivalent, but you have to be able to translate it.

Can there be two versions of the game? One the way it is now, and one where you have to identify the word in the sentence.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:14 am

Brutal!

It took me the first two questions to figure out I had to find the French word and plug in the translation. Still, I found some confusion with other false cognates in numbers 3 through 5. That's all my skull could handle this evening.

French = English

3. What was Lance writing when he found a piece of paper on the floor?

I found several false cognates in this one. The answer is a bit obscure to a neophyte like me.

Lance = launch / launches <lancer = to launch>

piece (pièce) = part

on = one (as in, one does what one must; someone = quelqu'on)

a = many things: has (il a = he has); à = preposition: with, to,

ANSWER = Piéce = play in French! Should be Pièce! (Wrong Accent!)

At this page: http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/dictionary/

Looking up "piece" shows that "A Play (theatrical)" is definition "h" (eighth) of "k" (11) definitions.

4. Where did Ferdinand pin the corsage he bought Lucille at the florist shop?

pin = pine

corsage = blouse, which is given as the answer.

Corsage sounds like a good Goodword for next spring's Prom Season.

5. What was wrong with the court yard behind Francine's house?

Court = Short, although cour is also a translation.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Larry,

Thanks. I need to replace the "piece" question for sure. (But I don't think anyone would buy a corsage for someone and pin it on a pine tree.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:53 am

It seems to me there a problem with this game:

As already mentioned the play has two tasks to complete to succeed. First, one must identify the English word that is a false friend in French. Second, one has to supply the appropriate English translation of the French word. Failure of either of these tasks leads to "try again." The player has no way of knowing which tasks was done incorrectly.

I think it would be more educational if we could complete these tasks independently. First, identify the word and second work on the translation.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:21 pm

I think that I must agree with BNJ.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

npdckrsn
Junior Lexiterian

English word for French word

Postby npdckrsn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Ah, would it not be nice to KEEP the French word we have chosen in the box to see that it is the one required; then we can struggle with its translation into English. I found more than one word of French origin in "pin", "piece", and "court." It took me some time to try to figure out that the "answers" to the questions were the clues to the use. The "play" nearly frustrated me to pieces. Grinning.
Waking up on the right side of the grass is a sure sign of another day to enjoy!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Greetings npdckrsn! Welcome to the Agora and all its wonders.

Great signature/tagline you've got there.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

npdckrsn
Junior Lexiterian

Grunchy Eggplant?

Postby npdckrsn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:36 pm

I still have not decided exactly what the grunch and the eggplant have in common. Care to elucidate? Maybe it could be explained in Texan?
Waking up on the right side of the grass is a sure sign of another day to enjoy!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:19 pm

It's actually gibberish. From a character used by the humorist Roger Price.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Thanks to everyone

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 am

Thank you all for testing the false friends game. I clearly have to rework some of them which I will do eventually.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Site News”