indigenous

What would you like to see on our site?
Amigo
Junior Lexiterian

indigenous

Postby Amigo » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:08 am

Dictionary: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place.
What is the difference to "native"?

brogine
Lexiterian

Re: indigenous

Postby brogine » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:20 pm

Of course, ‘native’ is used in many other senses. But in the way we’re talking about, here is the OED:

Native:
Born in a designated place; belonging to a particular people by birth; spec. belonging to an indigenous ethnic group, as distinguished from foreigners, esp. European colonists.

Indigenous:
Born or originating in a particular place; spec. (now often with capital initial) designating a people or group inhabiting a place before the arrival of (European) settlers or colonizers. Also with to introducing the place in question.

Synonyms, I’d say, although wiser heads might discern a distinction.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:52 pm

The difference is in how one uses them, and in capitalization. Having been born there, I may be able to say I'm a native American; but, not being of an indigenous group, I can't say I'm a Native American.

Plants and animals are called native to an area, never, or very seldom, indigenous.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:21 pm

Don’t know about frequency of use, but the OED gives virtually the same definition for “plants, animals, natural products, etc.: originating in or belonging to a particular country or region; of native origin, production, or growth; not introduced from elsewhere.”
And that usage is not noted as archaic, obsolete, or rare.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:30 am

That was meant to be read as 'indigenous' is seldom or rarely used. 'Native' is the usual term. Sorry for the confusion.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:55 pm

I guess you’re right. ‘Indigenous’ is more ‘reading vocabulary’ than ‘speaking vocabulary’. The OED does rate them equally in ‘Frequency (in current use)’.
All the best in the new year.

Return to “Suggestions”