Lackadaisical PMs

What would you like to see on our site?
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Lackadaisical PMs

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:29 pm

Is it possible to speed up the forwarding of this class of postings ? I've had messages lying in my outbox for days, before they were finally sent to the respective addressee....

Henri

PS : I should still like to be able to delete an inadvertently duplicated posting, even after other postings have been made to the same thread....
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Not to belabour the point, but a pm I attempted to send to our excellent Dr Goodword has been languishing in my outbox for nearly three and a half days....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

ashaffer
Site Admin

Postby ashaffer » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:20 pm

Not to belabour the point, but a pm I attempted to send to our excellent Dr Goodword has been languishing in my outbox for nearly three and a half days....

Henri
Is it still in your outbox? Dr. Goodword might not have read it yet, it could stick there until he reads it. As far as I know, there's no "delivery" mechanism per se - pretty much all the messages go straight into the database/the recipient's outbox. I could be wrong, however.
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:16 pm

Is it still in your outbox? ...
No, the message was sent to Dr Goodward (and, as always, a gracious reply received) shortly after I posted the above. But the impression I get is that pm's are not sent directly to the intended recipients ; rather, it would seem that they first are transmitted to one's outbox and thereafter, by some mechanism I do not understand, sent to their intended destinations, at which time a copy is posted to the «sent» box. It is interesting to note that pm's in the outbox cannot be saved ; that operation can only be performed after they have arrived in the «sent» box. Can something be done to speed this process up ?...

While on the subject of pm's, would it be possible to increase the capacity of the «save» box ? Mine contains only 27 postings, but is more than half full - or as optimists would perhaps put it, half empty....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:36 pm

Just a hypothetical question:

Perhaps the messages in one's private message OUTBOX remain there until that person closes his session/browser, at which point the system then transmits the message and it is instantly moved to the SENTBOX...?

-Tim

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:45 pm

I ran a test, and it appears to be as simple as Andrew put it.

I sent a test message to myself. After the 'Your message has been sent' window refreshed back to the Inbox view, my test message was already in my list of messages -- so it had already been delivered. HOWEVER, I did not open the message, but instead went to my Outbox, and as I expected, my message was, indeed, still in my Outbox.

I then proceeded to delete the test message, and after confirming the deletion, the window refreshed back to my original message list -- the test message was gone from my Inbox.

I ran the same test, but this time I opened the message in my Inbox, and upon checking the OUTBOX, my test message was no longer in that list.

In other words, as Andrew stated, the message appears in your Outbox until the recipient OPENS the message in his/her Inbox to view it.

-Tim

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun May 01, 2005 9:57 am

Tim, I repeated your test and got the same results. Thus, it certainly does seem to be the case that a pm stays in the sender's outbox until the recipient opens it. Only when this has been done is it forwarded to the sent box. The problem with this arrangement is that messages in the outbox cannot be saved, something the sender might wish to do even before recipients open them (if, indeed, they chose to do so - one never knows !). Perhaps the «save» function could be tweaked a bit ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sun May 01, 2005 11:29 pm

Well, one could certainly copy and paste the contents of the outgoing message into a duplicate message to oneself... If one were so inclined.

-Tim

Return to “Suggestions”