Language and thought

What would you like to see on our site?
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Language and thought

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I've long heard that language influences thought, but i'm not sure how that works. I've studied formally Latin, Greek, Hebrew, German, and Spanish, but only Hebrew seems radically different in thought. Hebrew OT does seem radically different in thought and logic, but not the others. Some insist Greek is more precise because of its vocabulary, but I don't buy that. German has the advantage of boxcar words, jamming another word on the chain. And some feel either Geman or French is the most beautiful which I also don't buy. German is too gutteral for beauty, and French is too nasal. To me Spanish is the most beautiful of all - in the pure dialects. English can be the most precise of all with a little care.

But the implication of others is that the syntax or grammar is what affects the thought. Any recommendations of basic books on the subject?
pl

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:05 pm

You may wish to look at the Wikipedia article on 'Philosophy of language', which has a section on 'Language and thought', together with a list of relevant publications.

Return to “Suggestions”