Proning - Definition Sought

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Proning - Definition Sought

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:26 am

I read the following sentence in the Jan 4 & 11, 2021 New Yorker (pg 53), and I can't find a definition. Can anyone help?
"In part, this was because the average age of patients was lower, but the improved chances of survival were also the result of flattening the curve, which gave doctors and scientists the time to devise more effective treatments, such as proning."
"The Plague Year" by Lawrence Wright.
As you probably can infer, the article is a long (40 pages) on the course of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US, and, as this appeared in the New Yorker famous for its fact-checking and careful editing, I don't think "proning" is a typo. But the only dictionary to have it is The Urban Dictionary and it is not actually defined; there is only an example sentence.

Can anyone provide a definition?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Proning - Definition Sought

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:08 pm

...proning is the process of turning a patient with precise, safe motions from their back onto their abdomen (stomach) so the individual is lying face down. The expert notes that it is especially beneficial in comprised COVID-19 patients with or without ventilator needs and says, “The position allows for better expansion of the dorsal (back) lung regions, improved body movement and enhanced removal of secretions which may ultimately lead to advances in oxygenation (breathing).”
From: https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth.or ... -patients/

I expect the word "comprised" should read "compromised." Unless it has some contextual meaning.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Thank you, Slava

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm

I just added a sentence to the Notes section of prone.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Res Diversae”