“There you go again again . . . ”

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
brogine
Lexiterian

“There you go again again . . . ”

Postby brogine » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Today on NPR:
“ . . . pushback against the administration’s mandatory vaccine requirements . . . .”
Last edited by brogine on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: “There you go again again . . . “

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 am

Is this actually a tautology, or do some words just require a preposition after them? Which is odd in itself, as a PREposition really should be before things, shouldn't it?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm

To me, it’s simply excessive verbiage. A tautology, indeed. Your other point escapes me.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:38 pm

Shouldn't a preposition, that is, a thing that bears the name pre-position, come before the thing it modifies? Not a true quibble, as I get it, but that's part of why we shouldn't end sentences with one, non?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Only preposition I see is ‘against’. My point is that ‘mandatory requirement’ is just silly. I mean ‘requirement’ . . . ?
Some folk - I’ve caught myself at it - will pad the verbiage to sound like a more nuanced thinker.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: “There you go again again . . . ”

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 pm

Aha, therein lies the rub! I thought the point was about 'pushback against,' and completely missed the other part.

I've come up with a way to make that part legit, though. The administration is requiring companies to have mandatory vaccination policies. How's that work?

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 pm

Hi, again. I was actually thinking something similar - after the fact, as I usually do my thinking - but then I sez to myself, I sez, no a requirement is necessarily mandatory.
Say, are the Finger Lakes glacial gouges? I’m from Brooklyn, but I’d been in California many years before a neighbor told me that all of Long Island is a giant moraine. Also - don’t think I ever saw them - there are rock surfaces in Central Park bearing (mini) glacial gouges - oriented more or less north-south, naturally.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 am

Requirements are mandatory, but I'm proposing the reading of, "If you want government work, you are required to have mandatory vaccination policies in effect."

Yes, the Finger Lakes are glacial scarring, lakes yclept fingers because somehow someone pictured them from above and thought they might have looked as if a giant had plowed its fingers into the ground.

Return to “Res Diversae”