Spelling

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Spelling

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:39 am

Here is a reply I sent a subscriber who read the LVS piece and commented that, where she is from, government had become gumment.
---------------------------------------------------
You must live in a southern US state. I was raised in and about rural North Carolina and that was how it was pronounced there.

I have a similar story. When I was in the second grade we had a spelling test every Friday, the day when they ran a western, a serial, a comedy and two cartoons at the Broadway Theater on Hay Street in my hometown of Fayetteville. Entrance to that entertainment feast for an eight-year-old cost 9¢. My deal was that daddy would give me a quarter and, if I made 100% on that test, I could keep the whole 25¢, which meant I could have a candy and popcorn feast as well as the entertainment. If I made less than 100% I had to bring him 15¢ back.

I consistently made 100%, so Friday was like a holiday for me throughout the academic year. But the last day of classes the teacher decided to test our knowledge of the spelling of local topics. Since Fayetteville was pronounce Fedville all around me, that is the way I spelled it.

So, instead of the last day of classes being the biggest holiday of all, the beginning of summer recess on top of everything else, I had penny candy at the "pichure show", as we called it down there, and brought 15¢ back to my dad.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

brogine
Lexiterian

Re: Spelling

Postby brogine » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Nice story. I’ve noted most people pronounce ‘government’ without the first ‘n’.

Return to “Res Diversae”