Meandering Maundering

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
brogine
Lexiterian

Meandering Maundering

Postby brogine » Fri May 26, 2023 7:17 pm

I came across an image* which brought Keats to mind:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

and wondered if splitting ‘forever’ was an artistic choice. It was in common usage both ways in his time. It seems to me - possibly because ‘for ever’ is now uncommon - that, as written, it’s much more powerful. Just as, explaining to a friend some extraordinary phenomenon in natural history, I found myself writing ‘astonishing’ in lieu of a more everyday choice.

* And, why not . . . ?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... terror.jpg

Given the subject, ‘beauty’ and ‘joy are hardly apropos, but it is a striking image.

I’ll add this: there’s a Keats concordance online, but it’s no help as to his usage elsewhere.

Another idea - should have been there from the first - I’ll venture to suggest that words like ‘forever’ and ‘amazing’ are diluted by common figurative use. So in Keats’s time, it might have read the same either way. To me, as it is, it has a spark of the divine.
And, of course, is wonderfully self-referential.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Meandering Maundering

Postby Slava » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:55 am

I'll go a step further and venture to posit that all words and their meanings get diluted over time. At least those that are used in common speech.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Res Diversae”