Lexicographers, US style

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:59 am

She definitely is...

Girl Walks into a Bar: A Memoir
- by Strawberry Saroyan

The life of a young media striver (she's William Saroyan's granddaughter) overflows with brushes with greatness, aborted romances, glamour, doubt and expensive mixed drinks.
Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:53 am

and couldn't help wondering if she (?) be related to William....
But this if is not conditional. This if is equivalent to saying whether. I think Fowler says something about inappropriately using the subjunctive in indirect questions. I'll check it later.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:47 pm

Well, this is not exactly Fowler, but it talks about the same thing:
Although many clauses that use the subjunctive begin with if, if does not always signal a need for the subjunctive. Even when an "if clause" includes a condition contrary to fact, the subjunctive is not used after words such as ask and wonder in indirect questions:
We asked the waiter if the fish was fresh.
For more, check this out: http://www.grammarandmore.com/edu/archi ... e23.htm#qa

I loved that thing we had on the other site that enabled us to write a key word, then it would appear in blue, and if you clicked on it, the word would take you somewhere else. Do you know what I mean?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:20 pm

Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:58 am

It looks like we were wrong, Henri!

Another traditional rule states that you are not supposed to use the subjunctive following verbs such as ask or wonder in if clauses that express indirect questions, even if the content of the question is presumed to be contrary to fact: We wondered if dinner was (not were) included in the room price. Some of the people we met even asked us if California was (not were) an island.

It's time to play your trump, if you've got one, Henri!

(Boy, that BD is a fiesty little rule follower, isn't he? Does he correct your Swedish, too, Henri?)

You got me this time, BD! But watch out!

Good show, old boy!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:01 am

No, come on! :D :D :D :D

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

jacklien
Junior Lexiterian

Re: suggestion.

Postby jacklien » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:19 am

Well, this is not exactly Fowler, but it talks about the same thing:
Although many clauses that use the subjunctive begin with if, if does not always signal a need for the subjunctive. Even when an "if clause" includes a condition contrary to fact, the subjunctive is not used after words such as ask and wonder in indirect questions:
We asked the waiter if the fish was fresh.
For more, check this out: http://www.grammarandmore.com/edu/archi ... e23.htm#qa

I loved that thing we had on the other site that enabled us to write a key word, then it would appear in blue, and if you clicked on it, the word would take you somewhere else. Do you know what I mean?

Brazilian dude
Try it grammar check for all types of grammar and spell check.

Return to “Res Diversae”