Drosophila melanogaster Redux

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:34 am

Here you are Kathy, back to language and the relevance of fruit flies thereto. Consider the possible interpretations of the following sentence:

Fruit flies like a banana.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:42 am

As a geneticist, uncronopio, did you find the discovery of a master gene which seems to control expressions of sexuality as impressive as an interested layman like myself ? (In case you ask, I was indeed impressed by the clarity of the results....)

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:53 am

While I am beginning to suspect Henri is a collective pen-name of a bunch of newspaper promoters[...]
Flam
At least, I can assure you that there was in 1975 a doctoral thesis by a certain M. Henri Day, "Máo Zédōng 1917-1927 Documents". ...
Ah, anders, but perhaps he was already a collective way back then ! After all, the esteemed Nicolas Bourbaki saw the light of day as early as 1935....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:56 am

How often do you recruit for candidacy?

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:40 am

How often do you recruit for candidacy?
To cite a famous Danish answer to an entirely different question : Hvergang !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:22 pm

I KNEW I WAS FIGHTING A LOSING BATTLE HERE, LARRY I'VE NEVER OBJECTED TO YOUR POTTY HUMOR OR LOCKER ROOM POSTINGS, mostly because I knew you good ol boys have to raunch out everyso often to prove to yourself they are still there.
But you are crossing the line.
"I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds."
--Grig, The Last Starfighter

So now I've taken up Ekkis' mantle . . . :D Perhaps I should toy with the idea of changing my logon name to matella . . .
And I'm not from the Midwest, I live now in the NorthEast, and I'm From the West Coast,
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now . . . "
-Simon and Garfunkel

For those foreign members not familiar with US geography:
Midwest or Middle West, region of the United States centered on the western Great Lakes and the upper-middle Mississippi valley. It is a somewhat imprecise term that has been applied to the northern section of the land between the Appalachians and the Rocky Mts. More often it is restricted to the Old Northwest Territory and the neighboring states to the southern border of Missouri, E of the Great Plains. It thus includes Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska. The area has some of the richest farming land in the world and is known for its corn and cattle. The extended area also includes great wheat fields, particularly W of the Missouri River. The heavily industrialized parts of the Midwest known as the Rust Belt have declined in recent decades. The chief cities are Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis–St. Paul. In popular tradition the Midwest is conservative, isolationist, Protestant, and “American.” Actually it has a variety of political, economic, and religious opinion as well as a mixture of peoples and ethnicities.
Northeast A region of the northeast United States, generally including the New England states, New York, and sometimes Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In college I had an Italian-American friend from East Boston , who would sometimes exclaim "New England States!" to others when he was angry, although he used his own "Easta-Bost" accent: "Uppa U S!" :twisted:

BTW, Katy, I didn't realize Timbuktu was in the Northeast US. I thought it was in the Southwest: Southwest Sahara Desert, that is, in Mali.
Its geographical setting made it a natural meeting point for settled African populations and nomadic Berber and Arab peoples. Its long history as a trading outpost that linked Africa below the Sahara Desert with Berber and Islamic traders throughout north Africa, and thereby indirectly with traders from Europe, has given it a fabled status, and in the West it is considered a metaphor for exotic, distant lands. Timbuktu's most long-lasting contribution to Islamic and world civilization is scholarship. By at least the fourteenth century, important books were written and copied in Timbuktu, establishing the city as the center of a significant written tradition in Africa.
talk about ad hominim, Larry shame on you.

Katy
This will mark the long slow slide into just another raunchy mg, so be it.
I suppose an attack on Katy should really be considered an ad feminam attack, but it is really not meant as an attack at all. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:54 pm

Ad hominem is not ad virem.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:51 pm

Ooh! Had to look that up in my new Latin-English dictionary! It has been been 38 years since Mr. Carney's Latin II class back at DeMatha . . .
femin.a -ae f female; woman

hom.o -inis mf human being, man, person, mortal; mankind, human race; fellow; fellow creature; member of a military force; mi homo! my good man!|| mpl people; inter homines esse to be alive; to see the world

vir viri m man; he-man, hero; husband; lover; manhood, virility; (mil) infantryman
And for completeness just below vir:
virag.o -inis f female warrior; heroine
Working backwards from English we find:
man s (human being) hom.o -inis m; (male) vir viri m

woman s muli.er -eris f, femin.a -ae f
And also, after woman:
womanhood s muliebris stat.us -us m

womanly adj muliebr.is -is -e
And back to the Latin one more time:
muliebr.is -is -e adj woman's, womanly, feminine; womanish, effeminate; (of deities) presiding over the lives of women; (gram) feminine; pars muliebris [uh, we'd better not go there . . . ] :wink:

muliebriter adv like a woman; effeminately

muli.er -eris f woman; wife

mulierari.us -a -um adj woman's || m womanizer; wolf

muliercul.a -ae f little (or weak or foolish) woman; sissy

mulierosit.as -atis f weakness for women

mulieros.us -a -um adj woman-crazy
And just after mulierosus, another word to describe men:
mulin.us -a -um adj mulish
:D

So, in summary, since homo is an mf (gotta be careful how you phrase that :wink: ), ad hominem should be translated as to the person instead of to the man. A nice, Politically Correct term.

But you made me ruin a good pun, BD! :lol:

Regards//Larry
Caco ergo sum!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Henri seems to have touched a nerve, but I seem to have exposed it.

Katy, we may be kidding you, but we do not mean to attack you, or even chide you. But as was pointed out, this is the Res Diversae section, for miscellaneous items. I think you over-reacted to Henri's initial post. Lord knows I disagree with most of his political views, but he's entitled to his opinions.

I apologize if you were offended, but your mini-tirades just begged to be answered in what I thought was a light-hearted way.

I'll buy a drink when we meet at the restaurant at the end of the universe. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:56 pm

Lord knows I disagree with most of his [Henri's [sub]MHD[/sub]] political views, but he's entitled to his opinions. ...
Jag tackar och bockar !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:01 pm

Jag tänker på böcker.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:09 am

Då får jag både bocka, tacka och tänka på böcker (helst om genetik och/eller opinionsfrihet)....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:54 am

Om du bara bockar, tackar och tänkar på böcker i en tank med bagare.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:48 pm

You guys are being silly!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:55 pm

It took you a while to figure that out.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Res Diversae”