Special characters

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Special characters

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I was asked recently, "How do I write an N with a tilde." I thought my response would be interesting for a wider audience.

Two ways:

(1) Put your number lock on and, while holding down Alt, type "0241". This works everywhere. You find the ASCII codes for the special characters in European languages at: http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/special_characters/

(2) Holding down Shift + ctrl, press tilde (~) then 'n'. Unfortunately, this works only in Microsoft products.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Special characters

Postby Slava » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:37 am

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the Agora had an accented characters box on the Post section. It went AWOL when the phpBB software was altered. Might there be some chance of getting it resurrected? It was mentioned at the time of the change, but nothing ever came of it.

By the way, Shift+CTRL+~n doesn't seem to work here. You can create it in Word and then copy it to here, ñ, but that's a bit of a pain in the fundament. NUMLOCK with ALT+0241, ñ, does. However, bear in mind that this works only on the number pad, not the numbers over the regular keyboard.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Good news for those on iPads. Hold down any key, and possible variations appear. Then slide yr finger up to the one you choose, and voila! Ñ, èëê, íî,áæ,, etc.
pl

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:48 pm

In Windows, click the Start button and type "charmap" in the search box. It should find "charmap.exe" which is the character map, so when it does hit the Enter key.

When you click on a special character (like an accented character or any non-standard character), if there is a keyboard shortcut it will display in the lower right corner of the charmap.exe window.

For instance, Keystroke ALT + 0186 gives º.

Accented "e's" are Alt + 0232 through 0235: è é ê ë

And it has to be on the numeric keypad. If you have a laptop without a separate numeric keypad then you'll have to use a Function (Fn) key along with another key to get the same result. You will see the numeric keypad characters on the keys for other characters. For example, on a Dell Latitude it's Fn 7, Fn 8, Fn 9 for keypad 7, 8, and 9, but Fn U, Fn I, Fn O, and Fn P for 4, 5, 6, and *, then Fn J, Fn K Fn 3, and Fn ; for 1, 2, 3, and -, and Fn M, Fn ., and Fn / for 0, ., and +.

Some laptops may use a Numeric Shift to access the numeric keypad function.

I have memorized the upper-case Thorn, Alt + 0222, to make a smiley with the tongue hanging out:
:-Þ
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Res Diversae”