The History of Linguistics on the Web

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

The History of Linguistics on the Web

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:38 am

I just found a relatively short, accurate history of linguistics on the Internet at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/41814/41814-0.txt. I found in it that I had written in 1998 "The web will be an encyclopedia of the world by the world for the world. There will be no information or knowledge that anyone needs that will not be available. The major hindrance to international and interpersonal understanding, personal and institutional enhancement, will be removed. It would take a wilder imagination than mine to predict the effect of this development on the nature of humankind."

I recall giving talks about the future of the Web at several universities which contained this quote or something similar.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: The History of Linguistics on the Web

Postby Slava » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:52 am

It seems odd to note that this all started just about 30 years ago. It feels as if it has always been this way.

This article also only goes up to 2012. A few things have happened since then. While it may still be hyperbole, I fear we are rapidly approaching the reality of a quote I liked from an Al Pacino movie of 2002: "Our ability to manufacture fraud now exceeds our ability to detect it." (S1mOne)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Res Diversae”